Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heater core replaced...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
....and I hope to NEVER have to do that again!!!

I had to tear the entire dash out including steering wheel:headbang: . What a pain! On the other had I did find out why my over drive off switch quit working. :) So I am going to move the wires and put it on a switch on the dash! Also had the CEL on so I broke down the guages and put a very small piece of black tape over the super mini led. No CEL now! LOL

The only prob I ran into is the airbag light is now on. Have to figure that one out cause I don't like that!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've done some heater cores by loosening the dash, and just supporting the right side with a bungee cord (pulling it rearward), to drop the air box assembly out the bottom. Your airbag light may be on because you disconnected the battery, or the pass side bag isn't plugged in.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yup they can be a huge bear to do. ive never done one myself but i have assisted my coworkers on a few. we did exactly what vince said

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah I couldn't get her all the way out but I got it far enough to sit on the pass. seat. and the airbag light is fixed I remembered a plug I forgot to hook up under the steering wheel. I imagine with normal doors it wouldn't be too bad, but with lambo doors its kind of a pain! LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Hell I am thinking about a remote start so as to not have to get cold in the morning! LOL

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'd like a remote starter so I don't have to listen to the valves clatter until they fill up when it's cold...:(

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
remote starter? you panzee!!

Seriously how cool would it be to hit a button and the truck starts, then hit another button and the door pops open, then hit another button and the door lifts up Lambo style!!!!!:rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hahahaha oh man ok ok ill admit it that would be pretty sick. BUT ONLY IF IT DID ALL THREE ;)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
in due time my brother. In due time!YelloThumbUp

Down here, we just bypass them. Who needs heat? :p

The first summer I drove my truck..I could not figure out why it was so darn hot in the cab (yes..summer in AR with no AC, but....).

I found out there was not a shut off on the coolant going through the heater core in the cab. There is a bypass on the water pump, but no valve to actually shut off the water.

I installed one inline that was supposed to be on a mac truck. LOL

I replaced the one in my 1991 F-150 a couple of weeks ago.Boy was it...............................eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy!!!!!!:)

It took longer to get the old hoses off than to replace it.

I have done two of our old parts trucks,1998 and they are not so much fun.

Brian B, My Dad had a 54 all my life and I remember him by passing the heater every Summer.I had not thought about that in a long time till you brought it up.

Some people just loop one hose back to the pump. I don't like the look of that...so I put a valve in. The fancier trucks came with a valve on the firewall just for that purpose.

Side note: The heater core should not be too dificult to replace in an old one:

100_0242.jpg

I think they made 4 different ones. I also believe mid-fifty carries them.

I know some have replaced them with a modern core that was the same size and shape as well.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts