Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rodeo drum brakes

Anybody know any tips for removing the drums? I got one side done already but cant get the other side to back off.

The Haynes manual says to use one screwdriver to depress the P-brake adjusting tab, and use another one to turn the adjusting wheel. I've tried this to no avail any other suggestions tips or tricks?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've had drums get rusted stuck onto the end of the axle... Warmed the center with a propane torch and beat around the edges until the thermal expansion broke the rust. You could hear it pop free after a couple minutes.

EDIT: This is assuming you've gotten the star wheel turned. On re-reading your post, it sounds like you can't turn the star wheel...

Make sure the adjuster tab is out of the way, then get a longer screwdriver to pry the wheel with...

Last edited:
I've got it loose, I have like an 1/16" I can move the drum in and out.

But yeah I'm having trouble getting the adjuster tab out of the way. cuz I cant see crap back there.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
It sounds like the slack you feel could be the slack between the axle and the axle keeper. Ian got you going in the right direction. Sometimes they can be a pain. Was the other one grooved by the shoes? That can make it hard on you too.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Then Try turning the star wheel the other way. PO may have installed it bass akwards.

I can shine a light on the star wheel and it looks like its in right the teeth point down from the back side. I just cant see whee the tab is, I know where it's "supposed" to be but I cant put eye's on it.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
If the wheel will spin adjust it until the shoe starts making a scraping soun then turn the star wheel the other way.
If you can see in there and don't see any threads on the adjuster then it is all the way down.
try some penetrant around the axle stub where the drum slides over it.
Other than tapping with a hammer to break it loose
I'm out of ideas

The only problem w/ turning the star wheel is I cant/ haven't been able to depress the tap so it will turn.

I'm 'bout to go back out and get back on it. See if we cant figure something out.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Hell, I thought you could turn it.
Try shooting a little PB Blaster on it and let it sit a little while. Sometimes all you can do is force it that will cost you some hardware that is replaceable good luck

Welp I gots it done, it took some heat and some persuasion, but i gots it.

Tks for the help Yall.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts