Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Chevy or Buick motor in my 55 ford??

how do you guys feel about puting chevy or buick motor in a ford? im asking because a guy wants to trade his 401 nail head out of a 63 buick with the 3 speed auto tranny for my welder. im on the fence. im not happy with my I6 but it still runs good i would just like more power and dont have money to build a motor from the ground up. also i dont like doing the same thing everyone else does i like to be different in some aspects. just want to hear some opinons for the more experienced. thanks guys

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Personally i cant stand mixing makes of vehicle/engines....

bobf100

Just about any engine you want will fit in an F100. I've seen them with hemi's, big blocks, small blocks and one at the F100 Super Nationals had a diesel out of an 18 wheeler. A small block chevy is a natural fit - gives good power and can be cheaper to build as compared to other makes. There are alot of F100's with sb chevys. For my truck I used all ford parts and have gotten a lot of positive comments about my decision to use a small block ford. Do you have an idea or vision of what your finish truck will look like?

If you use the nail head it would be unique but might dictate the finished theme or look of the truck. To my thinking is a nail head buick brings to mind mid-50's hot rod. Maybe some baby moons or chrome reverse wheels. Mild customizing, flat black paint and certainly spot lights. I haven't seen too many over the counter kits to install a buick in an F100 so you would need to make your own motor mounts and trans mount. You might also have to go to an electric fan or possibly build a custom fan shroud if you use the mechanical fan. Don't forget the driveshaft will need to be modified as well.

If you are looking for something different how about keeping the I6 and doing a build up on it? Hot rodded inline sixes are cool and always draw a crowd at the shows.

Michigan
This is about one of my most biggest pet peeves. I absolutely hate looking at a old ford and seeing the distributor in the back. Put a ford motor in it.

Not all ford engines have the distributor in the front. My Y-block has it in the back.

I am not familiar with the nailhead buicks. How hard are they to get parts for and how expensive are they?

If it were me and I absolutely had to swap drivetrains...I would find an LTD/grand marquis or a station wagon version even...and use the entire thing.

You can get them for about $500 (Or even less). You can use the engine, transmission, rear axle, front clip (independent front suspension), steering column (tilt and cruise), etc.

Plus with a later one...mid 80s or late 80s...they are EFI engines.

I have a friend with a 55 done this way. He even added AC to it later.

In fact, Donald (the one with the 55), is the guy who found my 56 for me.

Personally, I hate to see the other brand engines in them. That is me though. I still say (since yours runs well) work on the safety issues and get it all street legal. Then drive it for a while before you decide. The I6 is no hotrod, but it is a reliable engine and presumably gets decent gas mileage.

EDIT: If you keep the I6, you will be totally different. It is extremely rare to see one still. Even my Y-block is rare in the trucks. At the 2006 F-100 supernationals...there were only 4 there.

Last edited:
thanks for the input fellas the guy kept hounding me wanting to trade but when i met him and looked at the motor i just couldnt do it. im goin ford baby

how do you guys feel about puting chevy or buick motor in a ford? im asking because a guy wants to trade his 401 nail head out of a 63 buick with the 3 speed auto tranny for my welder. im on the fence. im not happy with my I6 but it still runs good i would just like more power and dont have money to build a motor from the ground up. also i dont like doing the same thing everyone else does i like to be different in some aspects. just want to hear some opinons for the more experienced. thanks guys

If I had a truck of that body style, it would have a flathead Ford and whatever automatic transmission that was common in those trucks back then, just me.

OK,, my take. The 53-56 F100s work well with most any engine you choose. I know of one with a 389 Pontiac/hydro. A Buick (nailhead) is a great engine. although relatively expensive and harder to get hop up parts for it. I remember a 55 F100 running a blown Cad engine that ran 150 mph at Bonneville. A 302 V8 is an easy install. Have you made a decision on what front suspension you get? A MII cross, a Volare T-bar, Aero star susp.

ezernut9mm

Missouri Chapter member
the silver lining i see here is to trade for the nail head and since the are somewhat desirable i would trade it for a like or better small windsor ford. everyone wins. lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts