Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

October Truck of the Month

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I thought it was a very neat truck. I've always had a thing for the 80-86 sheetmetal.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Congrats Bro!!!!

Yup 80-86 has always been a handsome truck. One of the only ones I didnt have to acquire a taste for, it just came natural. And about the reliability: These trucks just don't stop. :D

Congrats Tim!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I was about to post something about how nice Tim's truck was, when I realized it's a different truck from the one I saw....not that this one isn't nice, too- I just assumed it was his awesome '48 (?) that I got a ride in.

I like the '80-'86 trucks, too, though, and not much impresses me more than a working truck with a LOT of miles on it.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for saying such nice things about the truck. I was surprised when Ryan asked about it. It's never been a poster truck. In the last 20 years we've been thru a lot together that I didn't include in the bio.

This 4x4 has gone over jeep trails in the mountains where I had to fold the mirrors in and back up a couple of times to get thru trees I couldn't run over.
It's taught several teenages how to drive a stick tranny.
I'll never forget the 3 am collision with a pheasant at 65 mph out on the plains of eastern Montana - that wakes you up in a hurry.
It's hauled uncounted loads of firewood and gravel.
It has it's quirks, but then so do I.
It's towed trailers and boats, hauled canoes on camping trips with the family as well as hauling lumber and material for construction projects.
It ran wide open from Salt Lake City to Missoula MT wide open - speedo needle buried - I have no clue how fast. I learned the 302 just tops the rpm band at about 2600 .... and likes it.

It sat in the pasture for a couple of years when the second engine got tired, but I couldn't part it out. Then my youngest son asked if he could drop a new engine in it and paint it to drive to work. Now its back as a daily driver.

Life count: 336,000 + miles, its on the third engine, trans has been rebuilt twice, rear end ltd slip failed twice (axle spline stripped) so the last time I put in an open carrier and no more trouble.

I hope each of you at some point in life has a truck that is just right. This has been mine. I like my 48's, 52's and the 77. The 62 I'm saving for my granddaughter. The 86 F150 4x4 s a little light for heavy hauling (I have the 3/4 D Turbo Cummins for that), but for everything else the 86 has done all I've asked of it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts