Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tensioner Location

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Doing an alternator on an 04 6.0 as we speak...it's 15 to 8 here right now and I'll be damned if I can find the belt tensioner.......anyone got a location and special tips in doing this PITA.If you can gimme a call..my numbers are in my sig.Thanks

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yea i got it black hat but i will bookmark that page you sent me what a friggin PITA to do..I didn't even use the tensioner.I did a no no to get everything together which I won't mention...but I had no hiccups i will say that.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The easy way to do it uses a strong left arm. Standing next to the pass fender, pull the belt toward you. Then reach under the tensioner, there is a retainer under there that you engage under the tensioner. Once engaged, the belt will stay loose until you replace the alternator. When you have it replaced, just pull on the belt again, and the retainer will come loose. No tools necessary to release belt tension!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That's pretty cool but..I got big arms and i couldn't hardly get downin there....hell didn't even think about the through the fender approach...I did get a big fat reminder of why I'm not a mechanic by trade.....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts