Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil drain pans

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So I had to change my oil earlier this week, and drained it into one of these:
6872261.jpg

Left the thing in the (uncovered) bed of the truck from Tuesday until today, and basically ignored it.

Hooking up the trailer this afternoon, I noticed that the cap on the spout (which I'm positive I tightened...checked it twice, in fact) was nearly all the way unscrewed and maybe half a cup of used oil had spilled out.

So...is this possibly just from banging around in the back of the truck? Or did some [somethin' or other] unscrew it in the parking lot at school just to be a jerk?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I would think that it was just bad luck. If it was somebody, they probably would have done worse.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have one of those pans and I hate it because of that hard top on in.... I like the open top ones. When the oil comes down and hits that hard top it splashes all over the place (outside of the pan, and on me). The only way to make it not splash is to line up the oil stream DIRECTLY with the whole in the middle.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have had the come loose sittingin garage Temp changes I guess. Not the best lids on them.

no experience with the cap on those

i use the open-top one as well. only complaint about it (and i'm guessing yours looks like a similar model) is that the hole to dump the oil OUT of is a bit too large. i dump mine into milk jugs, OJ containers, etc and it's just a little too wide. i'd rather not use a funnel if i didn't have to.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
no experience with the cap on those

i use the open-top one as well. only complaint about it (and i'm guessing yours looks like a similar model) is that the hole to dump the oil OUT of is a bit too large. i dump mine into milk jugs, OJ containers, etc and it's just a little too wide. i'd rather not use a funnel if i didn't have to.
yes it can be a pain to pour into things. I like them because I can let oil cool off and not worry about kids getting into it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts