Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trailer towing with an 08.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The 08 superduty has a trailer brake controller that isn't compatible with trailers that have hydraulic over electric, or surge brakes. Ford has a kit (its a wiring harness adapter) that helps with the changeover. You need an aftermarket trailer brake controller, then wire it into the new harness. The harness plugs into the connector that was into the back of the tbc module. After installing all parts, you need to have your dealer disable the trailer brake control module (in the personality settings of the instrument cluster module).

How much is that baby gonna cost me if I haul an old trailer whose electrical brakes, for whatever reason, DAMAGE the new system?

blacksnapon

Staff member
How much is that baby gonna cost me if I haul an old trailer whose electrical brakes, for whatever reason, DAMAGE the new system?
Essentially, this procedure eliminates the electronics of the new system (the new system runs through the instrument cluster) and allows you to use the available wiring for your standard braking system.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts