Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Coolant Filter

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
Question: Is it a good idea to install a coolant filter or not? I have been reading that alot of people are installing them and have been getting alot of junk out of their coolant. I just bought the extended warrenty for my truck and understand that if the non-Ford product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage are not covered by warranty. But is it really worth it?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
IIRC, that's the only mod Brad put on his truck...

Might do a search, I think there have been a few threads on them before, and I think the reviews tended to be pretty favorable.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Mike,

To my knowledge FMC nor any Ford dealer has ever denied warranty claims because you had a coolant filter installed. IMHO the addition of a coolant filter is one of the first modifications that should be done to these trucks. Anytime you can keep the casting sand out of the EGR & Oil cooler the longer tjey will last trouble free. There have been several Oil coolers that have plugged up and led to failed EGR coolers and other overheating problems.
Since the antifreeze in these trucks requires no additives make sure you only use plain filters, Not the pre-charged ones.

Here is a link to one popular kit from Dieselsite
www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=324

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am not a proponent of mods on a 6.0, but a coolant filter is ok in my book. I showed my FSE Brads coolant filter, and he was impressed with it.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Below is a link to a previous thread I posted when this site first started.

The pictures of what comes out of our motors is worth a 1,000 words.

This is the first mod a diesel truck owner should buy and install.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357

The pictures of what was removed was after I flushed my system 100% and installed new distilled water and fresh Ford Premium Gold coolant.... enough said huh?

My dealer's diesel tech is OK with coolant filters as it aids in filtering and does not affect the coolant flow. He does not view it as a performance mod, but something that actually helps the motor in the long run.

The dieselsite.com coolant filter is the best designed filter set-up I have seen to date.

Good luck,

Kep4

Jäger
Definitely an excellent and safe mod for the 6.0.

I've had the Dieselsite coolant filter kit on mine for over 35,000 miles and it's filtered out a whole lot of casting sand and other miscellaneous crud.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just changed my coolant filter earlier this week and it is still getting stuff out of my motor.

I added the coolant filter at 50,000 miles after flushing my system first with new water and antifreeze.

I have changed my filter several times since then and have flushed my system again with new distilled water and antifreeze at 100,000 miles.

Now, at 132,390 miles, I changed it again (this filter was on for 1 year) and it is still taking out black sand casting stuff/crud!!!!

The Dieselsite.com brand coolant filter should be a person's first mod for any diesel motor truck!!!

Last edited:
I noticed this weekend that there was some sediment on the bottom of my degas bottle. I am assuming this was the sand that others have noted. I understand what purpose it served or may be why it would be in the block, my question is if this is shoddy quality control on International's part? Could be that I've just never paid much attention to that on other vehicles. I don't know it kind of bums me out. I have 22K on my '07 and I am pretty much convinced on the idea of installing a filter. Is there any evidence of shortened water pump life, I guess there is a possibility that this is not a real big deal? Does this show up in the 5.4L or the 6.8 from Ford?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I noticed this weekend that there was some sediment on the bottom of my degas bottle. I am assuming this was the sand that others have noted. I understand what purpose it served or may be why it would be in the block, my question is if this is shoddy quality control on International's part? Could be that I've just never paid much attention to that on other vehicles. I don't know it kind of bums me out. I have 22K on my '07 and I am pretty much convinced on the idea of installing a filter. Is there any evidence of shortened water pump life, I guess there is a possibility that this is not a real big deal? Does this show up in the 5.4L or the 6.8 from Ford?
Essentially, the manufacturing process has molten iron poured into a sand mold. The sand you see is the sand finally breaking loose in the coolant passages. Anytime theres sand moving quickly, you have a sandblaster. Yes, its bad for water pump impellers.

Ford Truck Articles