Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new motor

Just figured id share with yall my new motor cause im bored and have nothing else to do, 351W from an 86 f250, plans include gt-40 heads, a mild lopey cam (open to suggestions as to dif. brands and dif. cam specs), edelbrock intake, and ill probably end up trading the edelbrock for a holley (i'm thinking 600-650cfm, and i like holley better, more tuneability), hopefully eventually this will find its way into a 80s ranger on 1/2 ton axles, open to yalls suggestions if ya have any

DSCN0445.JPG

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If you can swing the extra money, a stroker kit would be awsome.

I'd love to build a 408 stroker with forged internals and all but that just aint in my budget right now, for now I think ill be leaving the bottom end mostly stock

thanks man never been to that one, ill check that out

yeah, eventually in the future i may build it into a nasty 408W stroker, but for now stock bottom end, its a budget build, what do yall think would be better, pulling the stock heads and have them reworked, port/polish, valve job, ect. and of course with some new valve springs and what not, and some 1.7 rockers (suggestions on those???) or should i spend my money trying to get a set of gt40 heads?

Get a set of used or better yet reconditioned GT40's, they will cost less than what you're gonna spend on the E5TE heads and perform better.. even without porting. Rebuild the bottom end with ARP bolts and get flattop pistons with 2 eyebrows that give you 9-9.5:1 CR. If you can fit longtubes in the Ranger you're looking at 400ft/lbs of TQ(with the right cam), that will make the little truck a hoot to drive. This cam looks like a good candidate.. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-35-242-3&autoview=sku the Comp Cams 35-238-3 and 35-239-3 are also good, as well as the Crane 443511.

Last edited:
actually found a guy over on sbftech to work my heads for free so i couldn't turn that down, hes doing port/polish, bowl work, and stainless valves, and new springs and ive decided on this cam http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-CL35-243-4&autoview=sku
I'm goin to have the block honed and get new rings and probably replace mains while its a part, any suggestions on intake manifolds? and rockers?
also the plans right now is to get a late 70s f series chassis and just put a ranger body on it, this will give me extra strength in the frame, as for now im plannin on a set of longtubes and just some dynomax race bullets to keep the cops happy not that they care too much around here

Last edited:
heads_2.jpg

heads_3.jpg

heads.jpg

my heads back from the machine shop

went to the swap meet today and got some more goodies
edelbrock performer alum intake brand new $60
1.6 full roller rocker arms blue annodized set of 16 $100
i had to get them for those prices, ill be adding a 1" carb spacer
within the next couple weeks me and my buddy will tear down the block to have the cylinder walls honed, then ill replace, bearings, pistong rings and get it all together, plans have changed now though, the motor may be goin in a fox body mustang
anyways heres pics of my new goodies
DSCN0455.JPG

DSCN0454.JPG

yup the guy was askin $80 and i talked him down the $60, brand new, i have a feeling it was one "fell off the truck", but before i just had the stock 4bbl intake, i was plannin on gettin the performer rpm but i couldn't pass this one up, with the 1" spacer it should work nicely

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I can't really advise you there. I have a length gauge and I always check mine before I order them. I will say that it is rare that I've had to get custom lengths.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Can't go wrong with Federal Mogul bearings, IMO. I've never had any experience with those rings though.

yeah ive heard real good things about them thats why i chose those, ill try the rings and see

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts