Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling Truck Project

Michigan
Well here is my dad and i's pulling truck.

Its a 1977 F100 with a 460 BB, C6, 4x4

Well first plans are to pull the motor and the trans. Send the trans out to be built (Not sure what we are going to do, or what stall converter we will go with), pull the motor, get that all checked out, bored, new pistons and rebalanced, rings, bearings, high vol oil pump, the works to the motor.

Biggest cam i can find with the best low end torque and some good ump at full throttle, High rise intake and a big carb. The tractor pull association has a limit to a 900 CFM carb to be considered the 6K street legal class.

as for the body, what you see is exactly how we are gonna pull it, rust and all. Going to be a runner and no show.

Its a work in progress. Obviously we are going through those half ton axles (cant go 3/4 ton because as it is we are pushing 6K lbs) Gonna take it to the cat scale up town soon to weight it.

smiliegitrdone

100_5101.jpg

100_5105.jpg

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Sounds like a good start. Might want to invest in some chrome moly axle shafts for the front axle and some quality hubs. As far as the rear goes, you might want to consider a nodular iron pig. There really isn't much advantage of 3/4 ton over half ton, especially in the front. It's still a dana 44, no matter. You only gain bigger brakes and more lugnuts. The 3/4 rear is marginally stronger, but the 9 inch can be built as tough or tougher.

Michigan
Yea the front pinion is already broke on the front. We plan on building these up pretty strong with lockers front and rear. The rules say nothing about using lockers.

Im thinking we might have to worry about weight issues. That truck has to be close to 6000 lbs as it is, not including a half tank of 110 oct and the drivers weight.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I like it, after you get the rest done you should work on the body though, I also like that hood scoop is it fuctional, if not it should be

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
i would swap out for 3/4 ton axles no matter what. i pulled for 7 years back in the day and ive seen many 9" centers pull out of the housings. the hardest thing your going to have to deal with is front end bounce,get the stiffest springs you can and the best shocks(even twin shock it) for the front. you can add heavy parts just remove stuff ya dont need ie,chrome,visor,window washers,tailgate,ect,ect

Michigan
It already has twin shocks up front, and il try to find some stiff coils.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Automatics aren't all bad, though. The 4spd will do alot stock but you can make an auto handle alot of ponies. What do you think they did in the old dragsters? C6s and Chrysler TorqueFlight 727s.

I'd seriously consider going to heavy axles, or at the very minimum, upgrading the driveshafts and u-joints and getting some good ladder bars. I frequent the local pulls and have seen way too many half-tons blow the rear drive (pretty much all of them). The hop is what gets ya...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts