Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

installing an oil pressure gauge and sending unit

i bought this gauge set, and am ready to install it. i was looking over the installation manual, and i don't get part of it.

here's the manual: http://www.iequus.com/downloads/manuals/93-0010.revB.pdf
scroll to page 2 and look at the graphic of the install diagram on the right.

i put the tubing through the compression sleeve, then the sleeve inside the nut. when i screw all that onto the gauge port i can still pull the tubing right out the back. what am i doing wrong? doesn't exactly seem "oil-tight"

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Gotta 'compress' the 'compression' fitting ;)

Turn the nut on tighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting said:
In addition, it is critically important to the integrity of the fitting that excessive force is avoided in tightening the nut. If the fitting is overtightened, the ferrule will deform and cause leaks. Overtightening is the most common cause of leaks in compression fittings. As a general rule, a compression fitting should be "finger tight" and then tightened 1 turn with a wrench. The fitting should then be tested, and if slight weeping is observed, the fitting should be slowly tightened a bit more until the weeping stops.

Gotta 'compress' the 'compression' fitting ;)

Turn the nut on tighter.
thanks for the link/quote. i was just barely finger-tightening it at my desk at work trying to figure out how it worked. i guess when i'm really installing it, i'll to the finger-tight + 1 turn method

new question: I just went by several auto parts places and no one has a brass "T" to hook up both my stock sending unit and this aftermarket one. Can I just hook up the aftermarket one, or does the stock gauge/sending unit do something special? Tell the oil pump to do something, throw CEL, etc?

I'll get the correct T later this week, but I'd like to get this oil pressure thing figured out ASAP

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
OilPressureAndEngineTempSensors.jpg

Looks to me like it's only supplying a signal to the gauge. I think you're in the clear if you want to replace it...

ALSO!!! Look!! Definitive proof that the stock sending unit is JUST A SWITCH. It does NOT indicate HOW much oil pressure you have, just whether it is high or low. Read the little box next to the switch.

You can see the difference in that the engine temp sensor is a variable resistor, so it can give a RANGE of values-- while the oil pressure is just a switch and can only send OPEN or CLOSED signals.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts