Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering Pully

On my 1977 F-150 with the 351M, I'm trying to remove the pulley from the power steering pump. It appears the pulley collar is threaded onto the shaft. I can put a 3/8" Hex wrench into the pump shaft. I had a vice grip on the pulley collar. I assume standard threads...

Any advice. I have it soaking tonight with some penetrating oil..

You have to use a special puller to get it off. It is pressed on.
smilieIagreesmiliewhathesaid
many NAPA stores have the ability to pull it for you; cheaper than the tool, too.

blacksnapon

Staff member
smilieIagreesmiliewhathesaid
many NAPA stores have the ability to pull it for you; cheaper than the tool, too.
Ya mean, I could have been doing that and not having to buy all these tools...........DANG!

MAYBE SO, but then you wouldn't have that cool toolbox to display them in!

Sheesh, vince, would you have bought them all for a one-time use? I do have a few that I did that with, but mostly cuz I did the "loan a tool" thing and got too lazy to take it back, LOL!

hmmmmm thinking about that... I need to do some ebaying, lol!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'd been preaching for a long time that a toolbox didn't make you any money, tools did. Then, one fateful day, I stepped up on the Snap On truck, and there it was. Ever lose your mind temporarily, and make an impulse buy?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
CAVEAT EMPTOR

Ford changed the Power Steering pumps in 1978 on F100/350's, Bronco's and all the cars.

The 1977 and earlier P/S hoses, pulleys, seal kits, dipsticks, reservoirs and all the mounting brackets will not work on the 1978 and newer P/S pumps.

Ford Truck Articles