Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Expedition goes green with diesel engine

Ford Expedition goes green with diesel engine

expedition0514.jpg

Photo by Brian Williams / Brenda Priddy & Company

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
340 horse, huh? Bet that moves out pretty good...IIRC, my the '01 Navigator I drove was "only" rated at around 300 horses, and it wasn't too slow.

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
I say it is about time. We need more diesel options in the states. I would love to also see an inline 6 turbo diesel in some of the half tons.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I say it is about time. We need more diesel options in the states. I would love to also see an inline 6 turbo diesel in some of the half tons.

Now you know that ain't gonna happen. The only inline six is the Cummins, which is made for a variety of applications... along with the Dodge pickup. Otherwise, there are just too many reasons why an inline design isn't on the table (or drawing boards).

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Now you know that ain't gonna happen. The only inline six is the Cummins, which is made for a variety of applications... along with the Dodge pickup. Otherwise, there are just too many reasons why an inline design isn't on the table (or drawing boards).

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
I know it most likely will not happen. I am not at all suggesting a cummins in a Ford. They are not the only ones with the capability of building a 6 cylinder diesel. Built right a 6 cylinder could have awesome torque while sipping the fuel. I am glad ford is giving us the option to get diesel in more vehicles. I would love to know the torque figures on the expedition power plant.

Apparently Cummins has the latest and best technology regarding the inline six diesel, just don't forget the inline sixes from GMC truck 6-71, IHC, White, Mack and several more. It seems that Cummins is the best diesel out there but.
Ford produced the Lincoln Mark VII with a BMW diesel for a couple of years with very poor sales. It was noisey, smelly and seriously under powered.
If I were to build my own Diesel truck I would want either the Cummins or IHC/Ford engine mated to the Allison trans. Right now the only way to specify a power train like that is to order a school bus or an over the road tractor.
An old customer of mine in Florida built his own diesel pick up using an 8V71 and Allison trans (both military surplus) and it was fast and powerful. He also had to box the frame to support the added weight as well as add some kind of air springs for the front suspension.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts