Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rant about headlight switches

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The other night when I was returning from a camping trip in the mountains, I had some headlight switch problems. The dash lights on the truck, and the marker lights on the trailer kept flashing on and off.

The problem was traced to a bad ground connection on the trailer itself, but the real problem is this.

I purchased a new headlight switch from NAPA, thinking the problem was in the switch. I removed the old switch, installed the new switch, but I could not get the push/pull handle to lock in place. The push/pull handle does lock in place with the old switch. I tried three other new switches at the NAPA store, all with the same results. Is the quality control really this bad, or are the new switches missing something?

Has anybody else had this problem, and did you find a switch that worked with the old stem? :headbang:

On mine, the knob had to go on the shaft in only one position for the tab to "catch". But that was a switch that had "LIGHTS" engraved in it.

Yes Doug, it is that bad.

All the more reason to buy NOS OEM or Motorcraft replacement parts.

D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Lesson learned. I'll try a Motorcraft part. Thanks everybody. CaFordDude, wrong forum? What forum should I have used?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, I'll ask the dumb question............did you push the button on the side of the switch?

Aside from the electrical components, the problem is the quality of the locking system that the button actuates.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts