Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seafoam discussion

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just wanted to say a few things about the seafoam thread in the tech only area...

I agree with Vince that the seafoam should not be put in the crankcase for any extended period of time (I PM'd him to tell him that before he replied) but I disagree with his comment about running it through the brake booster line... It will not cause any harm to the truck by doing this; it cleans the carbon deposits out of the intake. It's almost 100% petrol, not harmful.

There should be no worries about depriving the engine of lubrication as long as you aren't running it through the crankcase for more than a few miles (which I've heard is good to do for the last few miles before an oil change).

That is all. Let seafoam discussion begin.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Just wanted to say a few things about the seafoam thread in the tech only area...

There should be no worries about depriving the engine of lubrication as long as you aren't running it through the crankcase for more than a few miles (which I've heard is good to do for the last few miles before an oil change).

That is all. Let seafoam discussion begin.

I disagree with this statement. If you have ALOT of gunk break loose it will plug the screen on the oil pump and then starve the engine of oil.

For the intake it works well I have done it many times and it seemed to help.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Fair enough-- I've never run it through my crankcase so I don't speak from experience. Like I said-- I've HEARD that it works well (both from the company that makes it, and from people on the other site). I personally don't like to put ANYTHING but oil in my crankcase.

As for the intake, I've done it 2 or 3 times and it works great YelloThumbUp

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4725642777790871792&hl=en

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I will say it does clean the block out well. I have put it inthe oil and ran it before a rebuild and the gunk that comes loose is unreal.
When you pour it in the carb or in though a vaccum line my goodness does it ever smoke. I think it smokes more than the old GM topend cleaner I used to use many years ago.

Fellro

Staff member
A concern I have with cleaners in the crankcase, which is generally extreme cases, but all the same: varnish and glazing built up on the cylinder walls will clean off, and the rings are no longer seated, making an oil burner out of a previously decent running engine. Intake use can be a possible detriment if not done carefully due to possibly hydraulic lock, not generally as big an issue with gas engines, but still possible as well.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
When I first saw the thread in the tech section I feard someone had run their car into the ocean...Gotta remember not everyone has ocean near them though

I don't have to watch the vid... I killed 127 bazillion skeeters with that stuff!

I too say it's good for a quick few minutes thru the crankcase, but no more than that. Just like tranny fluid that way. But I'm not sure I'd try it on an older engine that's been run hard and put away wet, because of the gunk issue.
I pretty much DO think it works great thru the intake system. get about a half a can down, then choke the system with what's remaining, and leave it overnight. In the morning is when you'll kill the bugs of a thousand acres!

Never tried the stuff. They swear by it on explorerforum.com

In the intake anyway.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I've used it regularly in several different vehicles - especially my wife's 96 Jeep 4.0 HO that has 200K on the clock. Following directions 1/3 can in the crankcase, 1/3 can in the fuel tank and the last 1/3 in the vacuum line that attaches to the brake booster. It doesn't go into the booster, but to the intake. Stall it or shut it off after the last 1/3 and let it sit for half an hour, the fire it up and let'r smoke.

I've experienced no problems with washing the cylinder walls creating an oil burner. If you have one to start with, I suppose it might get worse.

It should soften seals that have hardened. I've seen no indication that it plugs up the oil pickup. Pressure has never varied. I use it sparingly, maybe once a year. I like it.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Only time I have seen them go to burning the oil is when the vehicle has not had it regular. If a vehicle is maintained regular, much of this is not an issue, so it works fine, it's the neglected ones that tend to have problems.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A hot tank works well too!
Lol, well I don't think all of us that those kinds of resources at our disposal.

I suppose you'd also argue that washing your dishes works well, but you don't do it because dipping them in hydrochloric acid gets them much cleaner :rofl:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
a normal operating engine does not develope sludge. a poorly maintained engine does. change your oil like you should, you wont need the "engine in a can". seafoam in the intake is fine with me because carbon can build up and kill performance. if you let a engine get sludged up, then nothing will help, but you can prevent it by regular maintainence and proper oil because some oils has a detergent in them already to prevent sludge.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
a normal operating engine does not develope sludge. a poorly maintained engine does. change your oil like you should, you wont need the "engine in a can". seafoam in the intake is fine with me because carbon can build up and kill performance. if you let a engine get sludged up, then nothing will help, but you can prevent it by regular maintainence and proper oil because some oils has a detergent in them already to prevent sludge.
Sorry I should be more careful with my terminology. When I said sludge, I was speaking of the carbon build up in the intake. I don't run seafoam through the crankcase, personally.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Lol, well I don't think all of us that those kinds of resources at our disposal.

I suppose you'd also argue that washing your dishes works well, but you don't do it because dipping them in hydrochloric acid gets them much cleaner :rofl:
Nah, leaves a bad taste in your food!

andym

Real men are fanatics
What I would really like to see is someone take apart a dirty old engine (hey, like mine!), then put it back together and run seafoam through it and finally take it apart again so we can see how well it worked.

Any takers? My stuff is going to the tank....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What I would really like to see is someone take apart a dirty old engine (hey, like mine!), then put it back together and run seafoam through it and finally take it apart again so we can see how well it worked.

Any takers? My stuff is going to the tank....
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing when you showed me those pictures of your engine taken apart.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts