Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hydrogen Kits Could Extend Gas Mileage

seems interesting - anyone care to explain why it "burns fuel more efficiently"

video here

here's the article
With gas prices at four dollars a gallon, everyone is looking for ways to make that gas last a little longer. And hydrogen kits for your engine are one way to boost mileage.

A company that installs the kits says simple household items like baking soda and distilled water make it work.

Cheryl Scamper owns at 1999 Chevy Malibu, and says her car used to only get about 22 miles per gallon.

That is until last week when she went under the hood and added a hydrogen kit to her engine. She says it has boosted her mileage by as much as 50%.

“I can tell by the bubbling that is going on under my hood. I can tell by how many days it has been since I filled this tank and I am only down to a half a tank,” says Scamper.

The kits are made of items found at any hardware store like mason-jars, vacuum hoses and electrical wires. They use an electrical charge to separate the oxygen and hydrogen into distilled water. Baking soda is then added in. Hydrogen is then pulled into the engine which helps burn fuel more efficiently and cleaner as well.

But some mechanics are quick to put the brakes on hydrogen kits, wondering if those jars of water will freeze during winters. Altering your engine will also void your car’s warrantee.

Scamper knows some people will make fun of what looks like a homemade contraption on her engine. But if it does even a fraction of what she hopes it will, she will be the one laughing all the way to the gas pump.

“Well, I’m glad I did. As far as mason-jar as well I can always make pickles later for now I am going to save some money on gas,” she says.

The kits cost anywhere from $200 to $500 depending on what type of car you have. You can install it yourself but if you don’t know much about cars, experts say it is best to have a mechanic do it for you.

don't worry, i'm not doing this tomorrow, but saw it on the news and thought it was interesting

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Guy I know has been trying different methods, hasn't noticed anything yet...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Physics of a gas engine dictates that it uses (IIRC) 13.7 parts air to one part gas. Sure, it'll run leaner or richer when their is a malfunction/problem, but under proper operating conditions, it's 13.7:1. So on that note, it'll take massive amounts of water to generate the needed hydrogen. Hydrogen kits are along the same line as the 100 MPG carb was 25+ years ago. For the most part and for a given vehicle in proper tune, the majority of what will influence gas mileage is how a guy uses his right foot.

*Some people think using a small percentage of acetone in their gas improves mileage (you can find this on the net). I tried it three years ago and as expected, no change whatsoever.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts