Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wash and Wax?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
So what does everyone use to wash and wax?

I usually use a Meguiar's products but wanted to see what everyone esle was using.

Anyone ever use a clay bar on their truck?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
tried the clay bar. I guess my truck was too old to see the results.

I usually do a round of turtle wax and a little turtle wax chrome polish on my bumpers and mirrors.

Ryan

Wash and wax? What are these things you speak of? confused

The rain washes mine once in a while. 'hah'

Actually, when the windows get bad enough that I can't see, I drive though one of those automatic car washes. Thats about it.

That will happen more often now that it is bug season here in AR.

I use Turtle Wax T468 Ice Liquid Polish when the weather is nice. It's kinda cool because it doesn't streak in direct sunlight (I have no where else to apply wax other than in my driveway)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Meguiar's Gold Class twice a year. Great stuff- easy to put on, deep shine, and seems to last quite awhile. I wash with warm water and (gasp) dishwashing liquid in a bucket (Joy is my favorite). I've read everywhere under the sun about all you reasons you shouldn't do this- but I've done it for decades and still have yet to see better results from anything else.

The big mistake most folks make, I think, is using too much soap and not enough water. That, and washing too large an area in between rinses.

Edit: I only wax on cloudy days... and try to wash in the same kind of weather. Full sun really makes the whole job more difficult. Night time (after the sun goes down) is perfect in the summer- less streaking.

Last edited:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
So what does everyone use to wash and wax?

I usually use a Meguiar's products but wanted to see what everyone esle was using.

Anyone ever use a clay bar on their truck?

The detal shop on National in Springfield ;)

Gunner

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Clay bar, Meguiars NXT. Never use a silicone based wax on a clear coat finish...silicone will strip off the clear coat. Never use paper towels on glass, especially on newer vehicles. The towels will scratch the glass because they are made from recycled paper, and have metal chips imbedded.

Two trips to the car wash will remove whatever wax your vehicle has. If garaged and a weekend cruiser, use a Ca Duster, wash rarely. Water and metal don't mix. Remember...rust never sleeps.

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Clay bar, Meguiars NXT. Never use a silicone based wax on a clear coat finish...silicone will strip off the clear coat. Never use paper towels on glass, especially on newer vehicles. The towels will scratch the glass because they are made from recycled paper, and have metal chips imbedded.

Two trips to the car wash will remove whatever wax your vehicle has. If garaged and a weekend cruiser, use a Ca Duster, wash rarely. Water and metal don't mix. Remember...rust never sleeps.

Welcome to FTF Bill!!!!!

Just not to be off topic, I use a non-abrasive wax called Autofom, made by Blue Coral. This wax is no longer available, and I stocked up on it years ago.
I found out about it, when I tried using a Meguiars multi-step wax on my Mercedes, and the more I rubbed, the greasier the finish got!! I checked with the body shop manager at my local Mercedes dealership, and he suggested the Autofom.

You know...Today was a bright sunny day. My explorer was covered in bugs and yellow/green pollen. It looked chartreuse. 'hah'

I was going to drive through my local car wash today, however, before I made it out to that part of town (running errands) it clouded up and started raining hard.

No point in washing it in the rain! YelloThumbUp

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Never use paper towels on glass, especially on newer vehicles. The towels will scratch the glass because they are made from recycled paper, and have metal chips imbedded.

It might be a stupid question but what is the best thing to use besides paper towels? :redface:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Glass today is a different composition than it was 10 years ago. It not only chips easier, but scratches easier too. Using paper towels on my wifes car cost me $500.00 for another windshield. Even Jewelers Rouge, the old standby for removing windshield scratches wouldn't entirely get rid of the problem. The car was a lease, so it had to be fixed. Luckily, the damage was to the right side upper, out of the line of vision.

As the member above me states, newspaper does a terrific job on glass. It's another old standby that works. Cheesecloth works also.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I wash my truck with mother natures gentle cleansing rain.

Other then that one wash a year I use blue coral soap, meguiars wax and a clay bar when needed.

CA Sun bakes a paint finish worse then a white chest on a cloudy day. (Just trust me on this one)

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
Meguiars is the best in my opinion. Hot Shine on the tires looks great.

I also use Armor All Protectant Gel on all my black exterior trim. Nice deep rish color and it seems to stay on longer than the liquid in the spray bottle.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Meguiars NXT soap Maguiars Tech wax mother's wheel polish westley's Bleche white to get the bugs off of EVERYTHING and black magic on the black trim pieces.Oh yea Magiuars leather whipes on the dash seats steering wheel whatever.....cleans it up and shines but not so much it blinds you like armor all does.

JR

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts