Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2000 F-150 tie rod replacement - HELP!

I'm new here - so please pardon me if I'm asking something stupid. My 2000 F-150 had a problem yesterday. I drove to my local town and noticed a noise coming from the front. I had some crap in the bed and thought I was hearing something rolling around. Anyway, I stopped at a gas station, and when I went to leave, the truck would barely move. I got out looked around an the front passenger tie inner tie rod had dropped off and was on the ground! Good God - I'm glad that didn't happen when I was doing 70 a few minutes earlier!
I had it towed home, and tore into it. I got the bad tie rod off, and decided to do both ends while I had it apart. Got the new tie rod ends, and now I can't get the old ones off to save my life! The sleeve is the type that has 2 large nuts on the ends. I've soaked that sucker with penetrating oil, heated it with a torch, but she won't budge at all. Am I missing something here? HELP!!! All the dealers are closed today & I really need to get this truck back on the road. Napa, AutoZone, or Advanced don't stock the sleeves.

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Never mind - I FINALLY got the %$*^# things off. Just took me about 2 1/2 hours of pounding, heating, re-heating, some more pounding and I finally got 'em off.

The new ones will have anti-seize on the threads!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts