Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How do you decipher the hieroglyphics?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
So how does the avearge consumer navigate all the reports, crash data, opinions, reviews etc...?

When I see on television that Brand X received a 4 out of 5 star rating in front end colissions how do I know that data is accurate? Are those results based on uniform tests across the board or are these results just another example of deep pockets or funny math?

Consumer reports, Car and Driver, Motorweek, Diesel Power are all car magazines. I would imagine in any given issue it could be possible that they each review the same vehicle and ALL have different reviews. I'm not talking style here I'm talking about the nuts and bolts of a car.

Are we really still better getting word of mouth reccomendations when it comes to cars and forming our own opinions? Do the "standards" really mean anything or are they just one more hurdle for all the manufacturers to figure out how to get over?

Having bought several cars over my life I can tell you that NEVER once did I even consider someone's "crash data" or "saftey record" or what have you. Maybe I'm a fool but I figure they all meet a minimum standard.

So what if anything do all those numbers really mean and who has the REAL numbers?

So how does the avearge consumer navigate all the reports, crash data, opinions, reviews etc...?

When I see on television that Brand X received a 4 out of 5 star rating in front end colissions how do I know that data is accurate? Are those results based on uniform tests across the board or are these results just another example of deep pockets or funny math?

Consumer reports, Car and Driver, Motorweek, Diesel Power are all car magazines. I would imagine in any given issue it could be possible that they each review the same vehicle and ALL have different reviews. I'm not talking style here I'm talking about the nuts and bolts of a car.

Are we really still better getting word of mouth reccomendations when it comes to cars and forming our own opinions? Do the "standards" really mean anything or are they just one more hurdle for all the manufacturers to figure out how to get over?

Having bought several cars over my life I can tell you that NEVER once did I even consider someone's "crash data" or "saftey record" or what have you. Maybe I'm a fool but I figure they all meet a minimum standard.

So what if anything do all those numbers really mean and who has the REAL numbers?

What a great post/thread!!!

That's why, IMHO, it always boils down to the way a make has treated you in the past or the way a new model/brand makes you feel after a test drive.

Ford especially has a lot of loyal customers that wouldn't be caught dead in another make's showroom.......I was in that group not so long ago.

IMO, those crash test results are ok because they are consistent, but I do find fault in them because it is near impossible to cover every crash scenario out there. Being in EMS for a while now, I've seen people walk away from wreckages that you would have sworn nobody could have lived. I've seen barely over fender benders that resulted in death.

Those results do make great fodder, though, when your brand wins the current round!!!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Overall, I like JD Power's 3 yr reliability survey the best. Since it's all, to a certain extent, a crapshoot anyways, it at least gives a statistical base.

MSN Auto is my favorite source for reliability issues and the potential cost of repairs. They get their data from actual fleet use.

It may sound crazy, but I often discover a wealth of information in the blogospere or on ripoffreport.com. This, of course to the information provided by JD Powers and such.
Another great source is your own insurance company. I know mine will not only give me the ratings, but will give me a free carfax on anything I am looking at.

For cars I read R&T, lots of real numbers about every car. I like the real numbers that matter: Power/weight ratio, ground clearance, torque, interior room, bed/trunk dimensions, stock wheel size, etc. etc. All can give you a semi-accurate representations of the merits of a car. As far as quality goes though? You are really just stuck with the anecdotes...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts