Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

uh oh

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I was planning to go up and mow Grandma's lawn today, but before I'd even finished my first cup of coffee, she called me.

She's been feeling unwell for several days now, and sounded quite tired on the phone. Asked if I could drive her to the emergency room. So I blasted up there (about an hour), and found that she'd contacted Dad while I was driving up there, and he was going to take her. He got there a few minutes after I did, and they went to the ER.

I cut the grass and came home (what else was I gonna do?).

Also, anyone who has my cellphone number, please don't call it. I loaned it to Dad, and he hates the things twice as much as I do...

Ian,
My prayers are going up for your grandmother.

Your story reminds me of mine... I used to mow my grandmothers lawn, and when I left for college, she seemed to have a really hard time keeping someone to do it. I was home every other weekend for that first year. Finals week, I had to beg off since I was overloaded.
She was waiting for a friend to pick her up on the sidewalk that following wednesday. She collapsed, right where she stood, and was gone.

I regret not going... from then til even now.
You're a good grandson!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks guys...

Turns out she had some symptoms that her regular Dr. told her to go to the ER if they appeared (as opposed to feeling so unwell she felt she needed to go); they ran a series of tests and didn't find anything conclusive. Gave her some more potent pain meds and she'll go to her regular Dr. tomorrow to go over the results of today's testing.

*As I said, I lent Dad my cell-phone, in case he needed to get in touch with anyone. Since the hospital has signs asking that cell-phones be turned off, he wanted to comply...but didn't have a clue how to do it. Had to ask the teenage girl working at the coffee-shop how. :rofl:

I hate the things too. The only reason I carry one is mom got it and insists that I do. She worries with me out working nights and nothing being open around here, if I had problems. Not that I have in the last 5 years......:wavey:

Hope all turns out ok for your grandmother Ian.

Just think...you could have stuck around and met the teeage girl. Missed another oportunity. :(

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Praying your grandma is OK.
Some Amish even have cell phones. It depends on the location. I have seen some near the Lancaster PA area with them. the ones around my area I haven't.
they might just be sneaky about it. I know they have land line phones in little outhouse type buildings they use.

It's kinda like the CAR issue. In many of them, they are allowed to drive, but not OWN the car... So they may work FOR someone who says the cell is necessary for work. They will work outside their Ordnon and earn just enough to where they won't have to pay taxes, and then the rest of the year on the farm. If one has a building with a phone in it, that is not traditional ordnon; they are to have NO LINES connecting them to the "Gentile World"
Now, mennonites, you will see all over the map, hehe....

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this Ian...hope all is well(said a prayer).

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Hope she gets better.

When my grandfather came down with cancer I distanced myself and didn't go to see him the morning he passed... I'm in Tom's shoes as well...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Had dinner with Grandma today...

I guess it was a mild fever that caused her to go to the ER; gone by the time she got checked in.

She's tired (not sleeping well), and less than thrilled to need the pain pills they've put her on, but basically doing OK.

Thanks everybody.

Ford Truck Articles