Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

76 to79 grill frame cross over?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hiya guys well,I've searched high and low called just about every junk yard from hear to Shreveport and back to New Mexico, and I can not find a grill frame/Shell I've heard it called more then a few different names.
The framers out here would rather let them sit and rust then have some one come get parts off them. But then I found a 76 f250 crew trailer special pretty nice truck the grill frame looked like it was new, guy said if I can get it off I can have it, so I was wondering how hard would it be to swap them I know the head lights sit lower in the 76 I've never dug in to a 76 so I don't know what it looks like behind the frame, where the grill frame bolted to the fender it seems to math with the pattern on my mine.. If any one knows could you please chime in thanks a ton guys??

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I know they will interchange. I have seen it done. I'm not sure how involved it is though.

Fellro

Staff member
Not hard at all, on the newer rigs the lower holes are already there I think... if not, nothing a drill can't fix. The nice part is that the two series share a few holes, so the hole location is much easier. It bolts out much the same way the newer grilles do. I did a swap like that on the 78 clip I used on my old 75.

Fellro

Staff member

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
you need the headlight buckets too, dont forget to grab those, then you just drill a few holes and your done, atleast that is the way I have been told, when I did mine I changed the whole front clip, this was the front grille assembly off of my 76 F250 that now resides on my 78 Bronco
bronco116.jpg

Last edited:

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
you dont have to change the whole clip, I did because mine on the bronco was rotted, the one on my 76 F250 wasn't
just grab the H/L buckets, it will bolt on, you just have to change the buckets and drill a couple holes

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
What's a grill frame? The core/rad support or the aluminum grill?

Tyl

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Many thanks Buck, for the clarification.

The aluminum shell will bolt right in, however you won't have the face of a '79. Your '79 will be as old as a '77. '73 to '77 is the same grille while '78 and '79 are the same style.

Tyl

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I all ways liked the older ford front ends just means its going to be even more of a Frankenstein, i'm heading out there next week to grab it i'll post some pics of it when i'm done.
Thanks a lot guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts