Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

46 Ford pickup

We recently inherited a 1946 Ford Pickup. It is our understanding the engine (flathead 8) was just rebuilt. Body is a bit rough but for the most part sound. Now the question is where could I possibly begin to find an approximate value on this truck. It would be a wonderful restoration project. Also have another complete flathead 8 engine that also is supposedly rebuilt as well as shelves of misc. parts. The misc parts I don't have much of a problem with it is the value for the truck itself and the engine. Any guidance and/or suggestions would be most helpful.
Thank you!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the site Partsgal! :wavey:

Can't help you much with the value, those older trucks are way out of my league. But I'd LOVE to see some pictures of it :)

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Buying or selling? It makes a big difference.

I've seen "the flathead was just rebuilt" refer to engines that have been completely overhauled to some backyard goober who pulled the heads and put them back on using the old head gaskets. Could also mean anytime from 1962 up to present day.

The truck, without pictures sounds like $750 - $1500. Watch ebay sales for similar trucks.

A loose flathead that I can't hear run is $50 if it won't turn over; up to $250 if it turns over normally; up to $500 if it runs with no smoke or other strange noises. I really don't want to spend much on one until I can pull the oil pan and heads and inspect for cracks. Without that you're taking a really, really big gamble. If it has been recently (1 year) rebuilt and the rebuilder's receipts are available and you can see it has been completely gone thru AND it can be verified that it hasn't been abused or let sit outside, it might be worth up to the cost of rebuilding $1500 - $2500

Does that help? btw, welcome to FTF - it's always good to have another flatheader around here. Hope you keep the inheritance and fix 'r up.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Keep in mind it also depends on ur area. Those prices above will be 4x $ if not more here in PA for a solid truck (we get allot of part from there here).

So is how bad some one wants one . If its been stored or sitting for years u may get more than a runner. All depends on the guy /ladies

Ford Truck Articles