Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exhaust question

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hello every one I'm looking in to getting some FlowMasters super 40s for my truck with the 302, i'm looking for the deepest sound I can get with a small block and a mild cam.
I called the muffler shop and talked to the boss about the super 40s and he said it would be in the area of 400 bucks ow.. Then he went on to tell me about a knock off brand that would be about the same for a lot less cash.
They were called Javelins? what I was wanting to know from you who have much more knowledge in this area would it be smarter to go with the flows or save the money and go with the China Inc brand? or is a Muffler a Muffler?

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The guy at the local muffler shop talked me into Jones Performance mufflers because he said Flowmaster's patent expired recently, so other companies are now allowed to design mufflers the same way as Flowmaster (and get the same sound of it).

The Jones mufflers actually sounded pretty good but they were too quite... I wanted louder -- so I went with no muffler, dual Magnaflow hi-flow cats. Sounds FANTASTIC with my 351 :)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
dual Magnaflow hi-flow cats wow I bet that does sound great.
I was thinking thinking super 40s have a deeper tone which is what i'm looking for deep rumble =) I have dual cherrys right now and they sound good but they are to raspy for my liking.

My Plymouth Duster has the Super 40s and they don't seem to have what I would call a deep sound. To me it sounds more like a "crunch, crunch, crunch" sound. Almost like a shaking a coffee can half full of nails.

My van with a 302 has this muffler-

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=24_193

-and it is deep, with no rasp or crunch sound.

Also, there are no cats on either rig. The duster has long tube headers with a dual 2.5 inch exhuast and the van id manifolds with a single 2.5 inch exhuast.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Check out pypesexhaust.com there stuff is pretty good my dad runs a set of vialotor mufflers on his 55 chevy that sound great, you can even play sound clips of what they sound like on different applications.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Wow those all sound great thank you for the links.
I found this video on youtube of a truck and I fell in love with the way it sounded just head over paws over it bad thing is that its a Chubby I saved it and watch it now and then :( it didn't have a rasp just a nice deep glugging boom to it.
Eco those are some nice mufflers but I fear to far out of my budget, maybe when I do my dream 51 Mercury restore. And I thought that crunch sound was just bad audio kinda sounds like a Bum shaking his change can.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'll take a video of my pipes tomorrow. I've done it before and it's a bit hard to capture the sound with my digital camera, but maybe I can give you a ROUGH idea of the no-muffler/2-cat setup. The only reason I even have the cats is because of strict California emissions standards, or else I'd probably be running straight pipes.

The hi-flow Magnaflow cats can be had on craigslist or ebay for way below retail. I got them brand new -- 1 on craigslist for $40 and 1 on ebay for $50 shipped. Here's a video I made a while back, I'll try to make a better one tomorrow.
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/...k Crap/Misc/?action=view&current=MOV01099.flv

It's a little hard to hear the sound in that vid... This is just 1 stock cat, no muffler, sounded very similar:
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/?action=view&current=ea638c23.flv

I LOVE the sound of my truck -- to me it sounds less like a truck and more like a hot rod :) Go ahead and laugh at me :guns:

Michigan

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
to bad no one has made a swappable muffler change them out to match your mood.
TexasNomad -- meet, The Exhaust Cutout YelloThumbUp

Basic manual exhaust cutout:
sum-670136.jpg

Install this between your engine and your cats/muffler, and remove the plate when you want her to have the straight piped sound.

There's also fancier types that have switches inside the cab.

Electric operated exhaust cutouts:
qtp-qtec30.jpg

Or cable operated exhaust cutouts:
mrg-5424.jpg

Here's a whole flurry of different kinds of cutouts. Just narrow down your criteria with those links near the top:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294923429+4294920534+115+4294865462

Michigan
O... thats to bad sorry bout your luck.

Michigan
ha ha ha.... I got it the first time.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey man thats not nice and untrue, I heard it when I played it on my 850wat Surround sound Pc system...I think i'm sure I heard a pop in there... mawhaha
A cut out, that's awesome Must have noisy shiny things....:drool:

Michigan
It pops when i let off when its close to the rev limiter, maby around 5700 Rpms. Its to quiet for me tho lol. Cut outs are definatly pretty kool. Expensive tho and i dont recommend anything but the electric ones. If you leave the wing nuts on and the cover youll have to change gaskets often, let along have it get siezed or something.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
It would be fun to do on the 460 but I dont know how well it would sound on a 302. I might put on some flame throwers on the 5.0 ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Your 302 should sound pretty danged similar to the 351, the engines themselves are not all that much different except for the deck height. I think a straight piped 302 would still sound pretty mean :)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I went to the muffler shop today and was in luck, there was a few cars and trucks there running Super 40s/44sand a new Cherry bomb muffler got to hear them all and I've made my mind up going for the Super40s.
Thanks guys :wavey:

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts