Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1999 Exp XLT 5.4L 2WD Oil Pump Failing?

Hello to All,

I am an IT consulting professional by trade with some modest automotive repair and tooling experience.

I have a 99 Exp XLT 5.4L 2WD unit that has (I think I have narrowed it down) a failing/failed/clogged oil pump (after much observation and forum research).

The truck has 170,000+ miles and started to have the oil pressure guage drop off and warning light coming on and off abruptly when the oil level got below a certain point. I would add a quart of oil or so (back to "full") and the behavior would go away. The engine burns oil but there is no visible tell-tale smoke in the exhaust and no visible leaks under the vehicle where it is parked at night. I had always attributed this to just the "normal" behavior for this engine as it has aged.

Then, recently, the oil guage fell off abruptly and the oil light came on and a VERY perceived knocking in the lifters (I assume) would simultaneously become evident. The engine has long had a slight knock, but, never had a loss of power and I assumed 87 octane and just aging. But this new behavior was abrupt. I added oil and verified the level and that was good. Now, when I start the engine, it starts up normal and idles fine, but, shortly thereafter (with the oil level good), the oil light comes on, the guage falls and the knocking commences. I have not been driving it except gradually up and down the driveway to observe the behavior.

after MUCH reading, and all things considered, it appears that the oil pump could indeed be suspect. what makes me further think this is that there are moments that the oil light will go off and the guage returns to its nominal position and the knocking abruptly stops and again idles fine. It seems to manifest the problem more as I begin to apply the gas and rev the engine up. It will often start to rev up normally and then the light comes on and knocking commences.

So, am I on track with this??? The truck has been parked in the driveway ever since as we have a 3rd car. I am now getting around to trying to get this looked at. But, I assume I will have to have it towed if I take it to a shop. So, I am trying to do some homework.

Is this a costly repair??? What else might it be? If the pump pick up line is clogged and the pump itself it OK, how to test and likewise, is there anything I might do to correct that situation? Is this something I could do myself or will the engine, tranny, whatever, have to be pulled out and apart to even get to where the pump can be examined?? I have read that you have to remove the timing chain and the oil pan to get at it. And, with a 9 year old, 170000+ mile vehicle, is this even worth bothering with fixing or should I "scrap" it (Kelly BB indicates about $1500 for this)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know throwing enough $$$ at it will fix it, but, with gas $ and the economy the way it is, I simply need to be smarter about spending $ in general these days.

Thanks very much!!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
bump. Techs should be around shortly to answer this question. And welcome to FTF!
c6seeya2.gif

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the oil pump on the modular engines are awesome gizmos. more than likely, you are looking at a stopped up strainer, or just alot of clearance in the bearings. might as well consider a overhaul.

or just alot of clearance in the bearings. might as well consider a overhaul.

+1 , Your mains are likely past their service limit and since they get the oil first, you lose oil pressure from there on because of the large bearing to journal clearances. Heavier oil can help a bit, but it sounds like she's due for an rebuild.:(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts