Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I was reading page #1 of a thread........

.....and when I was done reading that page I clicked on page #2 icon and I got the "you don't have permission - blah blah - this could be for two possible reasons - blah blah". So I pressed BACK and went to page #1. All was well with page #1, so I tried to go on to page two again and I got the same message.

Why could I view page #1 and not #2 or any other page of the thread?

I don't recall the title of the thread, but I found this thread while digging through skan's history of "threads started" looking for threads about the trans temp sensor - while it wasn't what I was looking for, it cought my eye so I read it - or tried to anyways. The title had something to do with his "other site" account being deleted.

What's even more interesting is that after I gave up trying to view page #2, I went back to the "new posts" for a moment then I went back into skan's "threads started" and looked for the thread again to give it another try and it wasn't there.

I couldent view page #2 then the thread wasn't there when I looked for it again - interesting.

This does seem to fall into the "arena of software" so this does seem to be a good place to put this inquiry.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I was the one that deleted it. We've been trying to get rid of useless threads with rants about other sites, and I happened to be looking at the Who's Online page when you were looking at that thread, so I clicked it to see what it was and it was a totally useless thread. So I deleted it -- seeing as it was my thread to start with, I didn't see any problem with removing it.

We're trying to move on and stop dwelling on our differences with other sites. If you've got any more issues feel free to PM me. Thanks.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
...We're trying to move on and stop dwelling on our differences with other sites...

Yeah, now we can dwell on the present and the future....:wasntme:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Let me start by saying I do not think for one minute anyone here is trying to hide anything.

But I am not sure I like this practice of deleting things "deemed" useless or otherwise. And I use the word practice because even though I can not think of another specific example I think I remember this happening several times recently.

Is this house cleaning something the administration is working on?

If stuff like this is going to be done, might I suggest putting the site into "maintenance" mode. That might keep questions like this from coming up again.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I wasn't going to go into too much detail but since you're calling us out Aaron, I suppose I should.

We're not just haphazardly deleting 'useless' threads -- we're deleting threads that were created for the sole purpose of complaining about other truck sites [you may or may not know which one(s) I speak of]. These threads contribute nothing in the way of bettering our site, and they make our members/staff look petty; and I think we can all agree that the members are a 100% representation of our site. In this specific case, it was a thread that was created by me, before I was a moderator, complaining about my treatment at another site. Now that I'm a representative of the staff here at FTF, there are certain ways that I need to carry myself in order to convey that our staff has a level head and good judgment.

The staff at FTF has nothing to hide at all. Eco, if you'd like me to PM the contents of that thread to you, I can do so. In actuality, the thread is not deleted, it's moved to a private area that can only be accessed by moderators and administrators. Of course I'd prefer NOT to have to go in and copy and paste EVERYTHING :rofl: But again, the point is that you are perfectly welcome to read the contents of the thread -- we just don't want it on the public boards because the words spoken by the members and staff here are a representation of how we operate. Many of our new and/or prospective members don't have the same prior experiences with other websites that we've had; so reading threads like this can only leave a bad taste in their mouths.

Aaron -- you say the site should be put into maintenance mode while we do these things. That's a very good idea. This was actually just a fluke. Tony had dipped into the archives a bit and cleaned out similar threads a few days ago, but I guess this one slipped through the cracks. When I saw it pop up on the radar screen I figured I'd just follow suit and wipe it out like the rest.

Eco -- my apologies for causing any confusion. I assure you, and all the other members, that we are not picking on anyone. We simply want to clean out the useless junk and start with a clean slate. Everybody got a chance to air their grievances and I think we've all heard it time and again --- "It's time to move on."

Again, if anybody would like to discuss this any further you are ALWAYS welcome to PM me or any of the other FTF staff member to discuss said matters. Thanks guys and gals.

Last edited:
I'm going to ***** about this. Chris...when you were new here you were bagging other sites about Sig's. It went on for 3 pgs. I begged it stop and got hammered for it.
Well now you can edit....it seems you edit what you took part in before you had the ability to edit.
I'm not saying we should/could/ will/ want.. to hammer other sites.
I'm saying notify before shutting down anything posted by members of here.. yeah I've got a bit of a stiff on over this and the PM you sent....I'll get over it.
Everyone here deserves their say. You had yours, I've had mine,.....I hope tomorrow we're cool. Tonight we aren't!!

Should I have done this in PM....no! It needs to be seen by all.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
lenny1carl said:
I'm saying notify before shutting down anything posted by members of here..
I completely agree... But do you want me to notify myself? It was MY thread.

And I don't ever recall someone getting hammered for saying they were sick of the site bashing...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Was it wrong for me to delete the thread WHILE eco was viewing it? Maybe so. But I didn't want him to reply to it and bump it back up in to the new posts for more people to see. I had to weigh my options and the better option was to obliterate it before it hit the limelight again. Not to mention -- if eco wrote a long dissertation and THEN I deleted the thread, I think he'd be pretty ticked off. I know I would.

Perhaps you guys are angry because you feel I was hiding my own thread? In this case, it was just a coincidence. Like I said before, Tony had systematically gone through and deleted ALL the threads of this nature (or tried to). It just so happened that the one he missed was one that I created -- and I was the first one who caught his mistake.

The staff at FTF has nothing to hide at all. Eco, if you'd like me to PM the contents of that thread to you, I can do so.

I expect a full report.

Aaron -- you say the site should be put into maintenance mode while we do these things. That's a very good idea.

What would also be a good idea (and a bit more tactfull) is to avoid removing threads when you are fully aware that someone is in the middle of reading the thread you want to yank.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I expect a full report.
What does that mean?

eco said:
What would also be a good idea (and a bit more tactfull) is to avoid removing threads when you are fully aware that someone is in the middle of reading the thread you want to yank.
Read my prior post. I saw two options and chose the lesser of the 2 evils.

What does that mean?

Read my prior post. I saw two options and chose the lesser of the 2 evils.

It would have been a more tactfull move on your part to wait to see IF I was going to resond (I wasn't going to) then remove the thread after my post then send a PM regarding your decision as opposed to remove it while I am reading it with no explanation or warning. I thought there was a software issue...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Eco I already apologized for the confusion and I have made it right by emailing the entire contents of that thread to your inbox. I wasn't going to sit around for another hour and wait for you to get to the end of the thread. I was getting off my computer and I didnt want to come back later that day to find 30 new replies to a thread that I didn't want people participating in.

I think I'm being a lot more accommodating than some of the other moderators you'd see on other sites, give me a little bit of credit here.

Last edited:
Chris i got rep'd by a member for asking it to stop. You know I got told to STFU for asking it to stop!. That happened. I was called by a member.
I had to defend myself.
Don't edit people before a heads up. I know you're cool with that. You're cool with everything else.
I think the world of you dude. Just remember when you were getting edited..or censored!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm going to ***** about this. Chris...when you were new here you were bagging other sites about Sig's. It went on for 3 pgs. I begged it stop and got hammered for it.
Well now you can edit....it seems you edit what you took part in before you had the ability to edit.

I see your point there Carl. One thing I'd like to add is that Chris has , let's say, begun to see things a little different since then. We all have. Some of your replies were part of the reason I started house cleaning, so to speak. I don't see where Chris is censoring anybody though.

I was looking through old threads last week and decided that the threads that bashed the other place just weren't productive to have hanging around. My sole purpose wasn't to hurt anybody's feelings, just to get rid of forgotten threads, so they wouldn't be ressurected.

Eco, Chris has apologized for removing the thread while you were looking at it. He made a judgement call, and unfortunately it wasn't the call you wanted him to make. Let it go.

My first thoughts were to lock this thread, but I think I'll let it go for now. Just remember the main rules of this site. No personal attacks.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Guys lets all remember that we are only about a year and a half old, so all of us are still trying to figure this out. so if things don't always go your way well it wasn't intentional. If you see a mod or admin lit up you can pm us and we will respond quickly. as far as all of this is concerned eco, sorry you were reading it, but chris had every right to delete his own thread.

I would like to thank the powers at be for giving me the opportunity to express my feelings in those threads out in the open in the first place.

Note: When it comes to moderating,it is quite difficult to wait things out in certain cases...Just removing then notifying is always the best option,IMHO.

Ford Truck Articles