Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ken's Truck 2 pics

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I went to see Ken today. He's a sponsor of the car show I'm organizing this sat. I brought my camera with me, I knew you'd appreciate seeing his truck. It's a 1960 Mercury Panel Van. Was a DSO unit for an army base in British Columbia, provided by the Canadian government. It is uncertain if the van was used as MP, Military ambulance, troop and/or cargo carrier.

2004_0417Image0001.jpg

2004_0417Image0002.jpg

It doesn't have he original paint and wheels. Ken painted it black with his business name along the sides; 'Death Row Cycles'. It is mostly for his business advertising and he does drive it, although it would need some TLC.

Tyl

Interesting vehicle. Does it have a busted headlight? Looks like it in the pic. :suspicious:

What drivetrain does it have? Should either be an I6 of a Y-block if original. I am aware of 4 transmissions. 3 speed standard, 3 speed standard w/OD, 4 speed standard, and fordomatic (merc-o matic????).

If you can...get more pics next time. I think the panels are pretty interesting. Never rode in one, but I like the look.

tylstruck

Brian, it does have a missing headlight and headlight bezel. Rust spot every which way.

Ken's an outstanding guy. What more pics would you like? Engine, interrior...?

Does anyone know. Ford trucks is F series, Mercury trucks is M series. Ford vans is E series,Mercury van is ? series?

Will hafta go back and pay more attention to the badging and more pics.

Tyl

Sure, I love to see the old drivetrains (engine) pics. You never know what you will find in one of these things.

I would imagine the interior is pretty bare, since he drives it for his business advertising. I have seen in them a few times.

Bill would know. See if you can PM him (BKW) on this site.

tylstruck

10-4. I will get those pics, perhaps get a ride in it. It may be till next week. I'm swamped this week with the car show on sat.

Tyl

tylstruck

Bill took me for a ride in his little MG, and we drove by Ken's truck. The only model number is on the sides of the hood. It only says Mercury 100. No series name or panel van or anything. 100 would be a half-ton chassis. I would have imagined being an old army van, it would be 3/4 or a one ton chassis?

Tyl

I can't really tell in the pics, but did you notice how many lug nuts the wheels have? The stock F and M 100 has the standard 5 X 5 1/2 that ford used up until the 80s (or so) whenever they switched to metric.

The 250 (3/4) would have been 8 lug.

No clue about the 1 ton....they were the big trucks like F-500 back in the day of mine.

tylstruck

Yes, 5 huts.

Some vans use one ton chassis. They're 8 lug nuts, and use 3/4 rims.

Tyl

With 5 lugs it should just be the regular half ton then. Must not have been used for heavy hauling?

I know the panels back then were made for work use, but I still think they are really cool fixed up nowdays.

BTW: What does DSO stand for? I missed that in the original post.

tylstruck

Station Wagons r getting popular. I'm sure you've noticed the trend at some old car shows. Grocery getters, soccer mom wagons....

DSO = Domestic Special Order, meaning built special in the factory line to ordered specs, not just some original dealer lot lizard.

Tyl

I have not noticed any station wagons at shows...other than the cheby nomads and the 2 door chevelle model (s).

I do see kids getting excited over the newer dodge station wagon...because....it has a hemi.:rolleyes:

I hated the old station wagons mom had when I was a kid. I will stick with that thought. I don't want one.

Although, I do drive an explorer. Same thing...just taller and 4X4. :(

tylstruck

I went to Ken's today for pics. Was a military truck in British Columbia. The wheels and tires were changed, along with the exterrior paint job. The engine is an inline 6, which he thinks is a 289. Aren't 289 the v8 "y" blocks? All I know is the 300 inlines, but did they have them back in 1960?

I haven't had the time to go see Rick's Torino, perhaps he'll be at the cruise tomorrow.

Tyl

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Judging from the engine shots, I think he's right that it's a straight 6. There's 1 main valve cover that goes right down the center of the engine compartment. Doesn't look like a 'V' setup.

Y-blocks: 239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368

I think that only up to the 312 was in fords. I think the others are either merc or industrial.

Not sure what the I6 sizes were.

It is definately an I6 though! Looks just like the 56 version. They were smaller a 223.

Later ford I6s were 200, 250, and the famous 300.

Notice the glass float bowl on the carburator? Those are sooo cool!

Thanks for posting the pics. :)

EDIT: you want the HP? Give me a minute.

EDIT 2: 133 HP, 202 FT pounds torque

EDIT 3: Mine....OHV V8 ( Y8 ) 5 Main Bearings; B&S 3.62 x 3.30; 272 cid; Compression Ratio 8.3:1; 171 HP @ 4400 RPM; 260 ft. lbs. of Torque @ 2100-2400 RPM; 2 Barrel Carb.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles