Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

should signatures stay with the post or be updated across all threads

just something i think about. it might not be a vbulletin option, but if it were, how would you prefer it.

when i ask a question, i don't post the details about my truck b/c it's in my sig. i just got a new truck...and a new sig. so now all the old posts about my truck don't make a lot of sense.

is there a way to keep the signatures with the posts? from a development standpoint, it seems possible but like a storage and database nightmare to keep all that.

obviously image signatures (the big picture ones) wouldn't be stored, but the text ones would. just something to discuss....

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I don't think there is a way to do that, having worked with vBulletin on other sites...the signature is just part of your profile that is updated constantly, similar to the post count or location, it changes as you go.

You can always just tack on a small mention of your former vehicle at the bottom of your current signature, kind of similar to what I have (at least at the time of this post!).

Your Post, when you make it, is like a mini web-page. The Pictures in your signatures and the Avatars are part your "page template", if you will. As a result, when you change one, it changes for all. And you are right about it being a database nightmare to do otherwise...

i know how it works, just a bigger question in general - how would you prefer it to work.

it'd be nice if you didn't have to list each truck you ever owned in your sig, but on the other hand if i update something that applies to every post i've made, i see the benefit in updating my sig everywhere

It's still a good idea to state what kind of truck it is when posting a new post about a repair, as it just makes it easier to follow, rather than to try to look to the sig and then follow back to where you were reading, IMO.
Most are forum-savvy enough to know to look at the sig, some are not so much ;)
Besides, search engines ( including our own) do not pick up what's in your sig.

hmm, its like we need a default footer for each post, separate from a signature. anyone have a wonderful idea?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I do believe on Pirate4x4.com --- the sig's stay with the post like you're talking about Tom, or at least I think it works that way. I posted for a while with no sig, then I made a sig and kept posting, and my sig only appeared on my newer posts.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665211

Notice only the last 2 posts have a sig.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You still have that Chris?

I don't see the sigs at all. Do I need to be a registered member?

Interesting... it does look like VBulletin's format, too.

Credit?
You got your break when we let you in here.
In God I trust, all others must pay cash.
heheh...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts