Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ratio help?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hiya Guys I need a little help with ratio i'm running 2.75s right now thats a tall gear, is that good for city driving? or high way? I've found some that go as high as 9. some thing. what is a good ratio to go with? thanks guys

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Depends on what size tires you're running. Generally speaking, lower numerical values = better gas mileage, and higher numerical values = more torque. You want to use higher numerical values with a bigger tires to keep the extra rubber from bogging down your engine. Your 2.75s are good for freeway driving because you'll be running very low RPMs on the freeway; not so great for city driving because you're putting extra load on the engine when trying to get the truck moving with only a limited number of RPMs at your disposal. High engine leads to reduction in gas mileage, but high RPMs do too. This means that there is somewhat of a sweet spot when deciding which gears and tires to use together. Here's a good chart to get you started:

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
So since my truck is 99% city I should change the ratio's Cool thanks Chris for your help, really cleared things up forme

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts