Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bobj49f2's mirror trick (lots of pics)

I have been tinkering again. Bob wrote an excellent article a while back about "truck" mirrors.

Link to Article:

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/mirror.html

My mirrors are shot (flop around) and are totally useless to actually see out of. Also, my dad broke my mirror bracket and the replacement ones are chrome.

Here is a pic of some OEM ford truck mirrors:

NOSmirror.jpg

Even if I could find a set...I could not afford them. Along comes Bob with his awesome substitute. Thanks Buddy! :WooHoo:

My brother picked up the stainless arms at a truck stop for me and I found the stainless mirrors locally.

The supplies:

DSCF0924.jpg

One side done:

DSCF0925.jpg

Complete:

DSCF0926.jpg

I will test them out tonight on a local cruise and picnic.

I'm glad the article could help.

I have a set on my panel truck. They work great, I also stuck a 2-3" convex mirror on the inside bottom corner of the passenger side mirror, it really helps to see what is on the side of the truck.

If you what experience blind spots drive a panel truck. I tell people you can simulate the experience by placing a 5 gallon bucket on your head with a 6" square cut out of the front. Even a '48-50 Ford pickup, with it's small back window, doesn't compare .

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Nice trick Bob. Nice pictures Brian. I notice in the bottom pic that you have your A/C on high! :D

Bob: I have never driven a panel or even ridden in one. I can imagine they would be difficult to see out of. I sat in a 53 F-100 once for a few minutes. Other than that...just driven mine.

Tony: Actually no. I shut the wing glasses to take that pic. smilietease They are normally open too. The cowl vent is great except in town. LOL

I went on the club cruise tonight. I think we drove around 50 miles before the picnic. Those mirrors are great!!!

Thanks again Bob.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
...I also stuck a 2-3" convex mirror on the inside bottom corner of the passenger side mirror, it really helps to see what is on the side of the truck.

If the "bracket" between the mirror and door is round in cross-section, as it appears, I'd probably go back to the same aisle of the truck-stop and get the clamp-on convex mirrors and mount 'em there, rather than the smaller glue-on ones. It might look a little odd, though.

The arms are round. The clamp on would work. These mirrors are so much better than the ones I had though. I think I will stick with them for now.

I never have been fond of the convex mirrors. I am not sure why. For some weird reason...they bother me being there. :suspicious:

Mom has them on her van.

Ford Truck Articles