Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust gas analysis

blacksnapon

Staff member
Anyone here regularly use an exhaust gas analyzer?
What are you needing? The 4 gas, or 5 gas would be used more often in areas requiring emissions testing (we dont).

I have a 5 gas analyzer.

I am wondering if you or anyone here has experience interperating results and putting them into the context of a given vehicle/application to then be able to tell exactly how the motor is running.

I am not talking about pass/fail emissions testing, but rather diagnosis and analysis.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 5 gas analyzer.

I am wondering if you or anyone here has experience interperating results and putting them into the context of a given vehicle/application to then be able to tell exactly how the motor is running.

I am not talking about pass/fail emissions testing, but rather diagnosis and analysis.
With my two finger hunt and peck typing, I dont think you have a month to wait on an explanation. Look up hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen (NOX), co2, oxygen, and emissions testing with the 4 or 5 gas analyzers.

I understand the basic theory, plus I have a book that has alot of info on the subject - so I am not looking for a start to finish explanation.

I was just wondering if anyone does regular work with an analyzer because I have a few specific questions about it.

1) Exactly what effect do the ethanol blended fuels (E10 in particular) have on the emissions readings?

2) Exactly what effect does ignition timing have on the emissions readings? If, for example, you go from 10* BTDC to 15* BTDC (spout removed) what would you expect (if anything) to change?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I understand the basic theory, plus I have a book that has alot of info on the subject - so I am not looking for a start to finish explanation.

I was just wondering if anyone does regular work with an analyzer because I have a few specific questions about it.

1) Exactly what effect do the ethanol blended fuels (E10 in particular) have on the emissions readings?

2) Exactly what effect does ignition timing have on the emissions readings? If, for example, you go from 10* BTDC to 15* BTDC (spout removed) what would you expect (if anything) to change?
Understand this is a guess, from my limited experience with emissions analysis. I would think the hydrocarbons would go down, NOX lower because ethanol doesn't burn as hot, but the bump in timing would raise it again. Not sure about the co2 and oxygen.

My thought is that since ethanol is an oxygenate, that O2 would go up. When there is an increase in O2 in the exhaust, CO2 gets dilluted - kinda like when there is air injection from a thermactor. So, O2 goes up and CO2 goes down.

I can't seem to find any hard data on this subject. Everything I come across is only applicable to 100% gasoline.

I have a rig running on E10 that has high O2 and low CO2 (relative to 100% gas combustion data, the only data out there) and my guess is that the E10 is causing this. High O2 means either lean mixture or exhaust leak. If I richen the mixture O2 goes down, but then the CO2 goes down too -if it were truly lean then O2 would go down and CO2 would go up. This isn't adding up and I am guessing that the E10 is causing the high O2 and low CO2and the mixture is really right on. What do you think?

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Sorry I can't help, don't have and never used one... Would have to do some research to help..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts