Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bushings help

77F-150Ranger

Pennsylvania Chapter Member
did anyone ever change their front axle pivot bushings? i need to do this and dont knwo if i have to take the axle totaly off or can it be done still on the truck with say a big c-clamp. also does anyone knwo if i could get new bolts for the bushings or are they like super rare?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
2) 58727S2 .. Axle Pivot Bushing (thru) Bolt ~ 5/8" -11 x 3 1/2" ~ Obsolete

greensalescompany.com has 40 in stock: 800-543-4959.

Last edited:

77F-150Ranger

thank you, i checked out that web site and when i go to do the bushing i will give them a call.

thank's again

also is this doable on the truck or will they have to be taken off?

I assume you are talking about the C-bushings inside the radius arms... Yes, you could leave the axle hang by the shocks... the springs will need to come off to get the radius arms off. The bolts are standard... I used Grade 8. I just did it last week. Energy Suspension offers the complete kit for C bushings, back radius arms, and track arm. You will most likely break the bolts holding the spring retaining to the radius arms... I did, MN truck too.

77F-150Ranger

ok thank you for your info. are you talking about the bushings on a 2 wheel drive front twin i beam coil suspension? i need to change the bushings where the i beams mount to the frame. there are two sets of them.

Those are called Radius arms bushings.
I did mine without dropping the springs.

Do you have hoist to put the truck on ?

You will need a come-a-long and or a bottle jack.

Sounds to me like he is actually talking about the I-beam pivot bushings; those are a different garanimal... Replacing the bolts is acutally SOP when servicing those, too.

I did them on an 88, but not the 79 I had... and I pulled the springs just to make it easier.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts