Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger question from another forum

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Posted by a Corvette forum member about his Ranger

Strangest thing happened with my truck yesterday.
(2005 Ranger 3L V6, 28000 mi.)

Since I got my vette up here two months ago, the truck has only picked up 100 miles. Took it out twice... mostly I just move it around the driveway to allow me to get the vette into and out of the garage. Prior to my vette's arrival, it was the DD and got about 900 mi/month. I drove it to the store the other day (2 mi. roundtrip) and when I came back, after shutting it down... there were popping/drippy noises coming from the engine. wtf?? Checked the oil level and the dipstick was BONE DRY.

Last oil change was six months and 4500 miles ago. I usually shoot for 5000 mile intervals. Always use Mobil 1 exclusively... 5W20 as Ford recommends. I've done every oil change on this truck since new. Always put 4.5q in; always get 3.5 to 4q out, plus whatever is in the filter. So yesterday I did an immediate oil change and only 1.6q came out! There is not a drop of oil on my driveway. Truck doesn't burn oil (at least not visibly... exhaust color is normal). There are no signs of oil leaks anywhere on the engine. It's almost like somebody siphoned out my oil... the only thing that's different now is that instead of my truck going for 8-10 miles at a time, it only just moves around the driveway (so it never fully warms up except for the few times a month I need it).

So what happened to my oil??!?

I'm clueless- any ideas?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
3.0 Ranger should take 5 qts of oil first of all. Almost sounds like not enough oil added at the last oil change.? I'll check tsb's...

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
No tsb's on that concern. I haven't seen anything like this other than not puting enough oil in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'll have to agree with D-KUZMEN on this one. The description you give says there is no visible leaks (the 3.0 is notorious for rear main and other gasket leaks). You said no evidence of burning the oil (the new synthetic and synthetic blend oils burn with little to no smoke). For this one, compression tests, leakdown tests, and measuring blowby should be in the future.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts