Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sum it up for me!!

What's the general consensus on the 6.4L?

As much as I hate to consider getting rid of the Lil' Green Dually, it can't seem to stop having problems (it would appear as though I may have gotten one of the '04 Friday builds) and I'm beginning to believe this thing will never be right. I'm not really considering anything but a Super Duty (well, I'm also considering a van) to replace it. I know it's generally not a good idea to buy a first run, but it's not like I'm replacing a truck with a stellar track record. And I kind of like the idea of being able to get a few of the new '08's gadgets.

I'm also considering getting an E-series van w/6.0L. But before you chastise me for getting a van, take a look at the van I'm talking about.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

By all means, if anyone else thinks the van's a better choice, chime-in. After reading the specs on that van, I really am seriously considering it.

Man! I was thinking cargo van. That thing is sweet!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I thought you said van, not mobile home. WOW!! That is too kewel!! I'd love to put all my performance parts on it and go racing vettes for pinks. How fun would that be. lol

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
At the bottom of the "van link" it showed the army version. What I want to know is the following:

1) Why is it not lifted?

2) Why does it have stock tires and not at least All-Terrain tires?

3) Where is the darn gun turret and the 50 cal. that is supposed to be on top!!!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What's the general consensus on the 6.4L?

As much as I hate to consider getting rid of the Lil' Green Dually, it can't seem to stop having problems (it would appear as though I may have gotten one of the '04 Friday builds) and I'm beginning to believe this thing will never be right. I'm not really considering anything but a Super Duty (well, I'm also considering a van) to replace it. I know it's generally not a good idea to buy a first run, but it's not like I'm replacing a truck with a stellar track record. And I kind of like the idea of being able to get a few of the new '08's gadgets.

I'm also considering getting an E-series van w/6.0L. But before you chastise me for getting a van, take a look at the van I'm talking about.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

What does the "Beachbum" recommend...

1) If you have a good reliable truck - stay with it.

2) The 6.4L is so new and highly tuned that experience dictates that there will be bugs and let Int'l and Ford work out their problems first.

3) Hey the van looks cool, but who services all of the custom parts on this vehicle? Is there a dealer network or will any Ford dealer service for you under warrenty? If yes... hey go for it and enjoy.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
This is gonna sound lame- but I wouldn't have a problem going with one of the last of the '07 6.0's. By the time they stopped building it, they pretty much got the quirks out of it.

Those van's really are kewl- they had one at the Auto Sgow this year. :cooldude:

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to choose between the van and '08 SD (not that the '07 idea was a bad one, I'm just feeling stupid enough to gamble on a new engine:hammer: ). I just got word on Friday, that the new oil leak in the Dually is the Bed Plate. They're pulling the engine as we speak. In 27k miles that makes an even 10 oil leaks, that have come from just about everyplace and sensor that can leak oil, CAC tube problems, cracked intercooler, and one blown injector O-ring. This thing has needed more repairs than oil changes. I just don't think my engine is ever going to be right.

. . .But, as decisions go, this isn't a bad one to have to make!:beer:

blacksnapon

Staff member
From our experience, the later 6.0 isnt bad. All the problems the 6.0 had, were addressed with the 6.4. 16 mm head bolts (as opposed to 14), the actuator on the turbo cycles each time you turn on the key to assure the vanes aren't stuck, on the 6.4. The diesel oxidation catalyst's only function on a 6.4 is to dry out the exhaust before it gets to the egr valve to keep it from gunking up. Theres 2 egr coolers (after the DOC), complete with sensors that monitor their efficiency. The 6.4 is showing some tendencies of its own, however. Theres a bunch thats got defective wiring under the high pressure fuel pump cover. And the random fuel leak. Remember, the 6.4 block is still the same as the 6.0, so, it has the bed plate question as well.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
3) Where is the darn gun turret and the 50 cal. that is supposed to be on top!!!!!

Probably still at the store. I know a place in Springfield were you can get all that (I'm serious as a heart attack here. All you need is a dealers licence). But the list price on a Browning M2 .50 caliber belt fed machinegun is 15,000 dollars, and the turret and mounting gear is another 5000, so that option is probably cost prohibitive for all except the most DEDICATED of hunter ;)

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
addressed with the 6.4. 16 mm head bolts (as opposed to 14).
ARP Head Studs fixed that for me. :)

the actuator on the turbo cycles each time you turn on the key to assure the vanes aren't stuck, on the 6.4.
Run it like you stole it once a week and that's no issue for a 6.0L.

The diesel oxidation catalyst's only function on a 6.4 is to dry out the exhaust before it gets to the egr valve to keep it from gunking up. Theres 2 egr coolers (after the DOC), complete with sensors that monitor their efficiency.
Shoot, just took out the EGR Cooler and Valve, welded things up and rerouted the CCV to the atmosphere and no issues there for the 6.0L either.

Remember, the 6.4 block is still the same as the 6.0, so, it has the bed plate question as well.
Shoot, a little NOS and Water/Meth and I resolved THAT issue on my 6.0L too! :) I plan on figuring something better out for engine number 2 though!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Try gunpowder and C4. Would probably have a BETTER chance of not exploding.
Hmmm, guess I'll raid the reloading supplies in the basement. Don't have the C-4, but how about some Large Pistol Primers? Would that do??

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts