Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shadetree tech tips

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
We all know some and use some. You know, those little tech tips that come in handy, yet surprise people that don't understand.

I remember when I was a kid, watching my Dad work on our car one time, he grabbed a big screwdriver, put it up to his ear then put the other end on the motor.

I was thinking pops musta been drinkin them red and white cans pretty early today. Hope he doesn't fall asleep like that.

I didn't know that worked like a stethescope. Man does it come in handy knowing that now.

What are some of the things you all have picked up along the way?

Michigan
Yea man X2 on the screwdriver trick. I was tought that in my high school tec class. Pretty sweet.

Ive personally learned that torches are lifesavers.... Even tho i dont have a set of my own for me to use and i use them when im working on my buddys cars and they have em..

Antisieze everything

Breaker bars, and extra bars are your friends (unless you break the bolt or nut)

Air chizzles are the chit!

Never use a screw driver to take out a race, use a brass punch..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A hammer and a properly sized socket make a good substitute for a hydraulic press when removing ujoints YelloThumbUp

I like that screwdriver idea! I'll have to try that :)

Fellro

Staff member
I use a vise and a socket... no press here yet either... The needles rarely fall over using the vise.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Used a vise and sockets on my MIL's car last week , worked like a champ.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Changing the pilet bearing by packing it with grease and using a socket smacking it with a hammer creating some hydrolic pressure to push the bearing out.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Using a headlamp bulb to check electrical ckts instead of a test light or meter. If a ckt can light a headlamp bulb it's good. If the meter show voltage but the bulb wont light you got some high resistance. (green fuzzy stuff)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Grandpa used that lightbulb trick. Even went so far as to solder a wire with a spring clip to a bulb so he could hook it to ground and still have a free hand.

I hit my IAC with an adjustable wrench to get the truck running so I could drive it to a warmer (10* outside, 40* inside) garage... Cleaned it out, and it's still working over two years later.

With a little care, using packing tape to attach a hard-to-reach screw to it's driver works very nicely- holds it together to get it started, adn the tape is brittle enough that it pulls out without leaving a sticky mess.

Michigan
To get to a hard to reach spot with a open end wrench, tape one side of the wrench so it makes a wall..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You're some special sort of perverted, Chris.

Or else I'm some special sort of idiot for not noticing I posted that...:headbang:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The only tech tip that REALLY sticks in my mind is, DON'T pull out BOTH spark plugs of a running two stroke at the same time, ESPECIALLY if you're wet!! You learn lots of neat things working on WaveRunners, but THAT one really seems to stick. Also note, it's fun to get your friends to do it though!!

Fellro

Staff member
Changing the pilet bearing by packing it with grease and using a socket smacking it with a hammer creating some hydrolic pressure to push the bearing out.

Also works with a clutch installation tool, or old input shaft...

mtflat

Flatheads Forever

I've even used a bolt or dowel with wraps of electrical tape to get a closer fit.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts