Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thanks Skan! Fixed my EGR!

I think i posted on here or FTE, but my CEL came on and i got the code for EGR.

I had planned to just replace it, but Skan suggested i just run some break cleaner through it. Well thats what i did. Low and behold, there was so much carbon that the valve was sealed. So me and my dad sprayed the inlet with Brake cleaner and pushed on it until it moved. Now it works perfect! No more CEL!!!

Pretty interesting valve.. looked at it for a bit. Very east to take off too, just needed to use some penetrating oil on the line running to the EGR from the cat.

Fellro

Staff member
WD-40 does well at dissolving the carbon as well, been there done that, pretty common.

nextras, what code were you pulling? i had insufficient EGR code and skan told me to buy a sensor which i havent gotten around to. The light comes on about twice a week still. In any event, im glad to hear you've cleared that code. keep up the good work man. Props to skan for being the brains behind the operation.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dan I thought you were getting code for incorrect voltage at the EVP sensor... Thats what I had and replacing my EVP sensor fixed it.

If its insufficient flow to EGR then try cleaning out the valve first.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ahhh yes I remember that thread now. Yeah you might be able to get away with cleaning it and fixing the problem, works sometimes but not always. I'd say give it a good cleaning before throwing any parts at it. If you still have the code then you'll wanna look into getting a new EGR valve. Looking back on that thread, I'm not sure if the DPFE will be your problem... Just give the EGR valve a good cleaning and we can go from there.

WD-40 does well at dissolving the carbon as well, been there done that, pretty common.

true, but wd dries out and causes sticking, which is why you dont really use it for a lot of things.. for example the door hinges, WD-40 would dry out and cause squeeking where as Lithium Greese is better, longer lasting and doesnt cause squeek

Fellro

Staff member
For cleaning the inside of an EGR, no oil will stay there. I wasn't saying to use it to lube, only to clean.I guarantee the brake cleaner didn't stay either... Door hinges are a different animal than an EGR. I don't use WD for lube applications. I most certainly would not recommend spraying lithium grease on the inside of an EGR and reinstall it... definite trouble on the horizon for that.

Last edited:
For cleaning the inside of an EGR, no oil will stay there. I wasn't saying to use it to lube, only to clean.I guarantee the brake cleaner didn't stay either... Door hinges are a different animal than an EGR. I don't use WD for lube applications. I most certainly would not recommend spraying lithium grease on the inside of an EGR and reinstall it... definite trouble on the horizon for that.

Didnt say i did.. just cleaned it out. A ridge of carbon builds up so the valve was stuck.. ever have a sticky gas pedal? clean the throttle body with brake cleaner, gets rid of the ridge of carbon, works quite well

Fellro

Staff member
true, but wd dries out and causes sticking, which is why you dont really use it for a lot of things.. for example the door hinges, WD-40 would dry out and cause squeeking where as Lithium Greese is better, longer lasting and doesnt cause squeek
Then why even say all this? Lithium grease s useless inside a EGR valve, so why mention it? WD will burn out, but it does dissolve the carbon, so why even bother with mentioning any of this? That is what I am saying.

Then why even say all this? Lithium grease s useless inside a EGR valve, so why mention it? WD will burn out, but it does dissolve the carbon, so why even bother with mentioning any of this? That is what I am saying.

i thought you ment use it to keep the EGR from sticking. misunderstood you, sorry man

Fellro

Staff member
Ok, internet is bad that way... I only meant to use it as a solvent. In my opinion, it works better than brake cleaner for dissolving carbon. As a lubricant, it isn't all that good, that I can agree on.

Ok, internet is bad that way... I only meant to use it as a solvent. In my opinion, it works better than brake cleaner for dissolving carbon. As a lubricant, it isn't all that good, that I can agree on.

ahh i c... i used Prolong Penetraing Oil to get the pipe off. Worked pretty good.

Ever try WD-40 on ur headlights? spray some on, rub it in, BAM clean headlights. works pretty dam good, fills in the imperfections in the plastic!

WD-40 is like Duct tape, has a milion uses other than what its made for.

so i took my EGR valve off last night and got a lot of carbon out with just a small file. I was hesitant to spray WD40 in there so i put it back on without spraying it with anything. I made sure that the valve could open and close properly then i put it back on there. I haven't had the CEL come on yet. Is there a way to take the EGR valve apart to clean it? should i take it off again and spray it down?

Fellro

Staff member
You wouldn't have to as long as it is moving. What happens a lot is the valve gets so carboned up it quits moving, or a chunk wedges and sticks the valve. You could to do a complete clean, but the main thing is the valve moving again.
I wish WD would fill the imperfection in my windshield... just got nailed by a rock from a state truck, big ol nasty mark, gonna have to replace the whole windshield for this one, of course it is in the line of sight... I'll have to remember some of those tips though, thanks!

You wouldn't have to as long as it is moving. What happens a lot is the valve gets so carboned up it quits moving, or a chunk wedges and sticks the valve. You could to do a complete clean, but the main thing is the valve moving again.
I wish WD would fill the imperfection in my windshield... just got nailed by a rock from a state truck, big ol nasty mark, gonna have to replace the whole windshield for this one, of course it is in the line of sight... I'll have to remember some of those tips though, thanks!

I have a couple cool tips, kinda like Silica gel in the headlights to clear the condensation.

In MA insurance covers windshields, so if it brakes you can get it replaced for free.. well kinda free cause you do pay insurance monthly..

thats the thing that sucks about insurance.. you pay so much for something you may never use.

Fellro

Staff member
I only have liability on the car, so insurance won't pay that. Otherwise, it would have.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
In MA insurance covers windshields, so if it brakes you can get it replaced for free.. well kinda free cause you do pay insurance monthly..

I could buy two new windshields a year with what I save on insurance now that I've got my truck registered in Maine instead of Massachusetts....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts