Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

not much activity---POP QUIZ!

blacksnapon

Staff member
2000 ranger with the 4.0 sohc has check engine light showing lean condition on the pass side. Tech A says egr valve is stuck closed, Tech B says the timing chain is a tooth off on one side. Who's right? Tech A, Tech B, Neither, Both.

Michigan
I hated those TEC a TEC b questions on the NAFTA test..... I say they are both on crack! lol jk idk...

andym

Real men are fanatics
I pick neither. A stuck *closed* EGR valve wouldn't cause a lean condition. If it was stuck open and not allowed exhaust gas through, then it would cause a lean condition.

As for the timing chain being off a tooth on one side, I never heard that one before. Maybe you should check the blinker fluid and muffler bearings too. ;)

Even if it *were* possible, it wouldn't cause a lean condition.

Sounds like you need some new techs! :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
2000 ranger with the 4.0 sohc has check engine light showing lean condition on the pass side. Tech A says egr valve is stuck closed, Tech B says the timing chain is a tooth off on one side. Who's right? Tech A, Tech B, Neither, Both.
Well neither of course.

Waiting for my PM with the correct answer now. :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I say neither, too.

Bad sensor on that bank, maybe?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I am a little late, but I just can't help myself. I would agree with JD112. If the Rangers still have an 02 sensor on each exhaust bank, then the one on the passenger's side might need replacement.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
So much for research ~ o/b experience I should have trusted my instincts.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts