Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What should be next?

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Looking at a new turbo or a new bigger intercooler. Which one? I do pull a 4000lbs. boat and haul a 3000lbs. camper. Sometimes at the sametime. My EGT don't get that high, but haven't towed anything with the new transmission yet. It's not installed, still waiting for build day.

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Wow, no one wants to tell me where to spend my $$$. Great!!! Thanks for the help.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
From your list of mods I would go Turbo, seems to me your getting enough fuel and have the room in the exhaust for the air.

My vote has been placed! LOL

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Well, the new BTS trans is in. No more trans issues. Now its time for the turbo. A Garrett GTP38R should help with the surge and stall issues I have been having recently. I did race the truck last weekend, 15.67 sec down the track I do believe is pretty good for this so called "stock truck"

What kind of surging problems are you having with the stock turbo? Do you have the stock wheel in it or has it been replaced with a wicked wheel? Replacement of the stock wheel may help get rid of the surging.

As far as a bigger intercooler....I would save your money unless you upgrade to some bigger sticks as I think what you have now will do you just fine. If you come across a 6.0 intercooler for a good price that may not be a bad way to go, you can find them online for around 100 bucks or so. Other than that, products like the spearco are nice, but spendy and I don't think it will be the best bang for your buck.

There are some nice turbos out there for sure...The 38R is a good setup...Also have a look at the H2E as it may be another good option for you depending on what you want to eventually end up with HP wise.

What year is your truck? (Forged or PMR rods?)

Hope that helps some

-Casey

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Unfortunately, I have the PMR's. I will be putting some hybrids in at a later date. So, can't do to much without having to pull and dropping forged rods. Wanted to get everything built up before dropping the new sticks and then the reburn for the tuner.

The turbo is completely stock, major surging when I am putting my foot into it of course. At times when hauling boat/camper without foot. I just want the surging to go away. Then there is the stall. Whole different story. Another foot problem.

If you are running the stock wheel on it I would recommend trying a wicked wheel. I think that may solve the problem for a lot less money...That is unless you are wanting to get into a bigger turbo anyway....Just remember until new sticks go in, you may have a little trouble lighting up a bigger turbo as soon as you can with the stocker....

Good Luck!

-Casey

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Just found out today I really need to clean out my Intercooler. Pushing over 1450* heading up a small hill with camper and boat in tow. Just had to back out a lot.

4r100-3

Liquid Goodness
Pyro is preturbo. Driverside exhaust manifold. 108,548 miles.

12.5K with camper on truck running about 1200-1300 without boat this last weekend. 4.5k difference.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts