Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ping?

My truck has an awful ping. I thought it was a lifter or a RR but it only happens if the eingines under load, never at idle or free rev..

my EGR does not work and i was told that it will cause the engine to ping.. this true?

i just filled my tank with 93 octane, still no difference but i filled up with 1/4 left of 87 and im just about down a quarter

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whatchu mean by 'egr doesnt work'? As in, its stuck in open or its stuck in closed?

What is your timing set to?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
the egr not working will cause a ping. thats why its still in my truck

i get a code 33 from the CEL

wont open im assuming.. i wonder if my cat's gone???

and the ford mechanic (guy i trust) told me it will cause it to ping at higer rpms and load (irrevevent lol i read frankes post wrong)

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
my egr is blocked and i have no pinging and timing is set to 14BTDC i suggest you chek your timing..

my egr is blocked and i have no pinging and timing is set to 14BTDC i suggest you chek your timing..

but you also did something to the computer too right?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
but you also did something to the computer too right?

nope.. i was running that with the stock computer with no problem.. but the stock computer was bad running fuel pump problem.. so i swapped it and had a lucky find ... it was from an ambulance.. thats all.. no special computers here

i get a code 33 from the CEL

and the ford mechanic (guy i trust) told me it will cause it to ping at higer rpms and load

You should figure out what is throwing the code. The computer adds up to 10deg additional advance when the EGR valve is open so a motor that is on the edge of detonation will certainly ping if the EGR isn't working properly.

You should figure out what is throwing the code. The computer adds up to 10deg additional advance when the EGR valve is open so a motor that is on the edge of detonation will certainly ping if the EGR isn't working properly.

well that makes sense.. im wondering if its stuck in the middle or something.. it pings like a mutha, but like i said o nly under load.. could it be a early sign that i need to replace my spark plugs?

correct me if im wrong but ping is PRE ignition meaning it ignites before the piston is all the way up?

im planning on doin sparkplugs soon once the weather is nicer as well as my EGR

it pings like a mutha, but like i said o nly under load.. could it be a early sign that i need to replace my spark plugs?
No, that's a sign the motor is running excessively lean and/or has too much advance, you need to fix the real problem.

correct me if im wrong but ping is PRE ignition meaning it ignites before the piston is all the way up?
That's right. The ignition event always happens before the piston reached top dead center (BTDC), but as load increases the motor will tolerate less advance and the computer is programmed to take this into account. The motor gets into trouble with this when it's not operating as it was designed due to a bad sensor or a malfunctioning EGR system.

No, that's a sign the motor is running excessively lean and/or has too much advance, you need to fix the real problem.

That's right. The ignition event always happens before the piston reached top dead center (BTDC), but as load increases the motor will tolerate less advance and the computer is programmed to take this into account. The motor gets into trouble with this when it's not operating as it was designed due to a bad sensor or a malfunctioning EGR system.

looks likei need to get a new EGR then.. like i said i pulled the code off the truck and got a 33, which i read was egr not opening/closing or low pressure to the EGR..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts