Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

If you had a $1000 lying around...

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
What would you buy for your truck? Can apply $1000 per vehicle if you have more than one.. thought this would be fun.

- Lowering shackles (2")
- Lowering springs (1" - more like 3" since I have big block springs that brought it up 2")
- Some new headers/Hookers 2 1/4" mandrel duals kit

Spend the remaining getting my hands on some of the MAF parts.

Umm....some sort of temporary building to work in and the supplies I need for the body work and paint. If anything is left over...tires. I could spend thousands on the 56 if I had the $$$$, but alas...I do not.

I would not buy anything for the explorer. It is daily transportation only. I will drive it until it quits. I am not modifying it at all.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
This is basically my plan for this summer:
-new front shocks, springs, bushings, and steering box
-radiator support panel
-finish CB setup (need antenna and PA speaker still)

I think that'll wind up burning up close to $1000, but if I had enough left over, I'd really like to replace the foam in my driver's seat (it's pretty worn) and add a seat heater. (Hey, if you don't live in someplace as cold as Maine, stuff it. Makes long drives easier on your back, too.)

Ian: If you seat is shot, check the salvage yards. I got a set of Excort GT buckets (halo headrest) for to put in my 89 ranger for $40. No rips, tears, or anything. They were stained and I had to clean them.

I had the 60/40 seat originally and the buckets bolted right to my seat tracks. I had to "thread" two already existing holes in the seats is all.

You could pop the cover off and install a seat heater in the buckets too.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
$1000? Ah, I'm with Tony, I'd buy a hot hooker to ride. Ride around with I mean!! Sheesh. Oh crap, Tony hasn't posted yet? Well, that's his answer and I'm agreeing!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
That money wouldn't buy anything I want for the diesel. :(

Twin Turbos - $7K
Big Sticks - $2K
Dbl Shot Nos - $2K

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've thought about that, Brian.

I don't really want to give up the 60/40 bench front- it's a lousy way to haul people, but I have used it for three across, and probably will use it again. A lot of people also bolt in the power leather seats out of Explorers, but I really don't care for leather, and don't care enough about the power to make it worth wiring them up.

And even though my seat is shot (I sit several inches lower on my side than if I sit in the passenger's seat) it's still halfway comfortable, so that's still a fairly low priority. Maybe one day I'll just add a heater to what I've got...

I agree about the bench seats mostly. In the ranger...I rarely even had two people in it. The buckets looked cool and my bench was totally shot. Extremely uncomfortable, worn through, foam collapsed. $40 was cheap!

I like the bench in my 56. I carry 3 people a lot.

My explorer has front buckets, but has a back seat.

I hate dads F-150. The lariat has front buckets and you cannot haul 3 people in it. A full size for two people? What was ford thinking?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
$1000 bucks......

new WHITE paint job

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The local vo-tech students do it for materials only! They did a good job on the pulling truck, and I like to support the local schools.

Michigan
It would be my maf harness, air box, all the wiring for the E fan and E fan, and some cosmetic stuff like a new tail gate..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
BIG tires.

at least a few of them. probably >1k.

I find four tires is generally sufficient. More than a thousand tires is really pushing the bounds of reason, I think. smilietease

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
zf tranny and parts, new gears front and back, fix the cancer on the drivers rocker panel.... thats about it for now

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I find four tires is generally sufficient. More than a thousand tires is really pushing the bounds of reason, I think. smilietease
You ain't seen me drive then!! I bought my first new set after 12,000 miles. And yes, I really DID need them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts