Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hunting/Fishing/Camping Rig

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
This is going to be long winded but bear with me.

Alright, if you were going to build an outdoor rig for hunting, camping, and fishing what would be in it?

Some info and stuff now. Would like everyones opinion and we can kinda build this here online. I plan on using some of the ideas one my own truck.

Here is the starting platform:

2004 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4
Automatic
4.6 V8

This isn't going to be a major off-roader or anything. Will be used for hunting, fishing, and camping from a tent. Will need to be able to travel in farm fields, gravel roads, and some lite off-road use. Might also be used to tow a boat or trailer with a 4-wheeler. Will still be a daily driver and driven to final outdoor destination, so it needs to be comfortable to drive. Needs to have plenty of storage and creature comforts. Would like for it to be easy to keep clean and look good also.

Alright, lets hear some ideas now. Links to products would be great. Items that would need to be fabricated or built are great too, include pics if you can.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You say you plan on camping in a tent. For me, with that list of goals, I'd throw a topper on the back and rig up the back to sleep in.

Even if you sleep in a tent most of the time, a dry, solid sleeping area that doesn't require set up is a real luxury. (I spent quite a few nights in the back of my truck last summer; after a few days, I'd rather be back in a tent, but for one or two nights, it's SO much easier.) Then again, if you're hunting deer/moose/whatever, maybe having a cap on would be a downside.

At my age, I can still get away with a sheet of plywood with some cloth stapled on top and a Therma-rest to sleep on; older friends tell me that won't last, and an air mattress becomes a necessity.

Here's what I've got, and here's the back of the plywood. I bought some denim fabric and some quilt batting at a fabric store to cover the plywood. Don't remember what it cost; Mom got it for me as a Christmas present.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
honestly my truck fits right exactly where this topic is going. used for camping, fishing, puling trailers, daily driver, pulling cars, off roading(light to medium) some landscaping and logging. but its an 89 and a standard. but has power everything, cd player, cb, sound system with sub, nice comfy seats, CUP HOLDERS!!! ill get back to you on the truck of choice though. id have to look some stuff up. is there a price limit on this?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Not really a price limit as it will be done gradually. I don't want to call it an "ultimate outdoor rig" but I do want it to be something that when people see it they're going to be saying "wow that thing is awesome and has everything you need for the outdoors". High expectations but it will be a work in progress. Any cool gadgets or what not aren't out of the question either.

Topper isn't out of the question. Would still like access to the bed for weekend projects around the house. Storage is a big necessity for all the gear needed for the activities listed.

Sleeping in the bed of the truck might be an option for smaller trips with just myself and son. Most trips will probably include my wife and sometimes it might just be the guys.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Sleeping in the bed of the truck might be an option for smaller trips with just myself and son.

Camping trips with just Dad are great- you should make sure there are quite a few of these. :)

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I know most of you have seen it but here is a pic of my truck anyway.

100_10821.jpg

tires are Bridgestone dueler Revos 265/70/17( i believe), fairly new so they wont be replaced until necessary. Most stuff I've done is cosmetic. Does have a in-dash dvd/cd stereo.

cb might be a nice install.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
A limited slip diff would be nice, if it's not already equipped with one. A dual batter setup and a power inverter would also be on my list. A cb definately, just in case you can't get cellular reception.

A toolbox in the bed is also high on my list. Storage is necessary.

Good rubber floormats. The kind that protect most of your carpet.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
All good suggestions Tony, thanks.

I have catch-all floormats right now and they cover the floor pretty good. forgot to mention those too. :headbang:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Mild and I mean MILD lift (see pam, I can be modest on a truck) for a little more ground clearance
CB definatly
High lift jack and shovel (never know)
Tow straps
Winch (but can use high lift in a pinch)
Fire extinguisher and first aid kit
Off road lighting (i.e. brush guard, roll bar)
LS or posi is a BIG help
Air locker up front
onboard air compressor with a port at front and rear w/ quick connects (had them on the Dually and they work great for airing up mattreses, tubes and tires)
Small toolboxes with a little bit of everything in them
5 gal bucket
Spare water and gas cans

That ought to get you a good start and I know some have been said but they are worth repeating.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Not really a price limit as it will be done gradually. I don't want to call it an "ultimate outdoor rig" but I do want it to be something that when people see it they're going to be saying "wow that thing is awesome and has everything you need for the outdoors". High expectations but it will be a work in progress. Any cool gadgets or what not aren't out of the question either.

Topper isn't out of the question. Would still like access to the bed for weekend projects around the house. Storage is a big necessity for all the gear needed for the activities listed.

Sleeping in the bed of the truck might be an option for smaller trips with just myself and son. Most trips will probably include my wife and sometimes it might just be the guys.

well if you wanted an ultimate offroad rig, you should buy this beast!!!!!! i saw this up in buffalo NY on my roadtrip!!! Mercedes Unimog!!
DSCF1798.jpg

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Mild and I mean MILD lift (see pam, I can be modest on a truck) for a little more ground clearance

Doc - you raise that truck anymore than it already is and I'm going to need a ladder to get in. I already bought him running boards so I didn't have to look like I was crawling in.

Also, Momma don't camp. No running water - no momma.:)

I think you should add the bed idea to the back of the truck. I liked that idea. Sounds like a reasonable priced change and a great idea.

Also maybe a tow hitch.:)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Also maybe a tow hitch.:)

You don't have a tow hitch?

We found your next mod, my friend... Quality receiver hitch, and lighting hookup. (Don't bother with brakes unless you intend to pull anything heavy, but if you do, get brakes.)

Plus then when you get a cap, you can get a cheap little trailer for hauling stuff that won't fit under the cap.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok well heres my idea after some htought.

suspension,steering,wheels

---new all terrain/mud terrain tires. nothing to crazy just something like 31's or around there. so you can get some good traction from crossing some trails without worrying. a lift about 2-4 inches high. like some people said, nothing too too crazy but enough so you can clear some stuff on the trail. upgraded steering stabilizer or add one if you don't already ahve it. it adds a lot of handling when off road! lengthen your axle breather hoses!!!!! run them as far up on the truck as possible so if you do get ambitious with a mud hole or small river you won't have water go into the axles. im not sure who easy it is to get the spare tire out from under the truck but if it isn't easy then i would suggest moving it to the bed or have a swing arm like the broncos do and put it on there and you could look like a baja racer haha.

body, frame, appearence

--- some sort of grille guard up front to protect the nose of the truck and so you can add some lights and/or a winch. i know WARN winches have made a winch with an air compressor also built into the winch so you can air up tires, use air tools(very light use) so you can take lug nuts off or other uses. get a trailer hitch in the back so you can tow a trailer, add a rear bumper guard, put a trailer hitch mounted grille, a vice, bike rack, just about anything. if you don't go the truck topper/cap route, then add a back rack, also called a headache rack. it will protect your back window and you can add lights to the top of it. bed cover(tonue or however you spell it...) to protect your stuff from rain and weather. make it a soft one so you can roll up and store it away when you need the bed for large items. truck tool box in the back to carry all your truck equipment. hijack lift so you can lift the truck out of the earth and change a tire on the trial, or use it to pull the vehicle out of the trail. first aid kit, oil, ATF, brake fluid, coolant, extra belt, some wire, electrical tape, knife, hammer, basic set of wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers, and a tool to remove the engine belt, a mini torch/lighter, compass, rope, flares,jumper cables, mag flashlight, extra headlight bulbs, extra gallon of gas, window vent visors,bug deflector, tail light guards, (i have 2 tanks so i don't need that, a gallon of water (all of this stuff i have on my truck for the just in case incident minus the winch, and bed cover.)

inside cab/electronic

--- cb radio so you can talk to trail buddies or when you have no reception with a cell phone and need assistance, 2 way radios for when walking around, GPS with trails on it(there is a few out there that actually show trails on the gps and not just roads, plus you can upload info from your computer like trails and stuff), cd player if you don't already have one, fire extinguisher inside the truck, deep rubber lfoor mats to protect the carpet, seat covers to protect the seats, maps of the area, knife in the glovebox, some very good windshield wipers!.

so far thats my list, i have more but my fingers are tired from typing all that haha

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
This is going to be long winded but bear with me.

Alright, if you were going to build an outdoor rig for hunting, camping, and fishing what would be in it?

Some info and stuff now. Would like everyones opinion and we can kinda build this here online. I plan on using some of the ideas one my own truck.

Here is the starting platform:

2004 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4
Automatic
4.6 V8

This isn't going to be a major off-roader or anything. Will be used for hunting, fishing, and camping from a tent. Will need to be able to travel in farm fields, gravel roads, and some lite off-road use. Might also be used to tow a boat or trailer with a 4-wheeler. Will still be a daily driver and driven to final outdoor destination, so it needs to be comfortable to drive. Needs to have plenty of storage and creature comforts. Would like for it to be easy to keep clean and look good also.

Alright, lets hear some ideas now. Links to products would be great. Items that would need to be fabricated or built are great too, include pics if you can.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC.

Ok here is why I bought my truck, and why it's built like it is.
1) 4wd. Had to be because a lot of these rig locations I work aren't paved, and will turn into SOUP at the slightest hint of rain. I was on one one time that we had to wait two days for a D-8 Cat to show up just to SMOOTH it. THEN we waited another 2 days for it to dry. Not exactly OFF ROAD, but not exactly ON ROAD, either.

2) Diesel. I work in some out of the way places. The one common denominator on a drilling rig is EVERYTHING runs on diesel fuel. If I get stuck on a rig in the Rockes, and can't get out or something untoward happens, at least I have a ready supply of emergency fuel. It ain't exactly LEGEAL, but it beats freezing to death when the work unit or your trailer runs out of propane and you need SOMETHING that can provide some heat.

3) Trailer. It had to be able to pull my 32ft 3 slide 5th wheel in and out of these locations, make good time on the highway pulling the same trailer, and be able to get said trailer in and out of these soupy locations. Nothing sucks WORSE than being turned loose for a job and having to wait two days for the location to dry up so you can go home.

4) Cool. It's unacceptable for me to drive something that isn't cool. Like a Dodge or a Chevy :D

Gunner

Last edited:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I know most of you have seen it but here is a pic of my truck anyway.

100_10821.jpg

tires are Bridgestone dueler Revos 265/70/17( i believe), fairly new so they wont be replaced until necessary. Most stuff I've done is cosmetic. Does have a in-dash dvd/cd stereo.

cb might be a nice install.

Spend the 5 to 6 bills and get a TomTom 710. Some of the best money I've spent. It's a bluetooth handsfree, nav system, mp3 player, the works. AND it can give you a lat an long on not only YOUR position, but the position of where you're GOING, so if you DO happen to get lost in the wilderness, and need some help, you can get on the phone and give them your exact posit, rather than "I dunno".

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
well if you wanted an ultimate offroad rig, you should buy this beast!!!!!! i saw this up in buffalo NY on my roadtrip!!! Mercedes Unimog!!
DSCF1798.jpg

Oh, I BEG to differ ;)

LAND_M1A1_Abrams_lg.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.................................

Gunner

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles