Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering box?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I've replaced virtually my entire front end over this past year or so. It drives straight and smooth now, but I wanted to tighten up the steering. Is there a way to adjust the steering box? What's involved? If it's not possible without major modifications, I'm not concerned, because there's not actually a *problem*

Any input is welcome. :)

Ryan

Storm

Theres an adjustment nut on the top of the box.. It's a PITA.. You adjust it a 1/4 turn then drive.. If you tighten it too much it'll start leaking.. You can adjust it to an extent but in most cases I recommend to folks to just replace the box.. They aren't that expensive..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It ain't THAT bad to adjust. (Though, in my case, it seems it was wasted time as I kind of think the box is bad, and that seems to be rather common.)

There's a screw with a checknut coming out of the top of the box- loosen the nut, turn it in a little, tighten, and try it. When it stops returning to center after a turn, loosen it back up a little and call it good. Go too tight, and you'll tear up the box in a hurry.

Storm

It ain't THAT bad to adjust. (Though, in my case, it seems it was wasted time as I kind of think the box is bad, and that seems to be rather common.)

There's a screw with a checknut coming out of the top of the box- loosen the nut, turn it in a little, tighten, and try it. When it stops returning to center after a turn, loosen it back up a little and call it good. Go too tight, and you'll tear up the box in a hurry.

Thats what I meant by PITA lol.. You have to adjust, drive, adjust, drive, adjust, drive.. If you go to far, bam box starts leaking.. Why I say just replace it.. Really aren't THAT expensive.. Im fixing to replace mine, only $160 dollars.. Course I'm on a lift with 35's, its dead and I only got 50k miles LOL

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, well, to a college student $160 is a lot of money, compared to a freebie adjustment. 'Course, I know a little bit about steering boxes (long and embarrassing story...) And it's not like replacing the box is all that easy, either.

*I adjusted mine in a college parking lot, on an 8*F day with 30 mph winds. You don't need to tell me it's a PITA...;) I'd do it again, to try to save the money, though.

Michigan
on my 79 bronco i put lets think..... 4 or 5 steering boxes on that thing. Every time i would go boggin the steering would get even more sloppier, i found a high performance steering box online, cant remember the name of them! I wish i had because mine is sloppy as all hell right now and its getting worse, but after that box it was tight as could be.

Michigan
Also i adjusted mine a few times, and i had a 86 F150 POS and i kept on blowing the bottom seal out of the steering box, my guess it was caused by over tightening. I ended up buying another new reman... Ive taken out my share of boxes in my life lol, they are heavy also!

Yeah, well, to a college student $160 is a lot of money, compared to a freebie adjustment.......

To a part time college instructor (with major medical bills) $160 is a lot of money too!!! Way more than is in my checking account. :(

I would try an adjustment or 3 or 12 before I gave up. Your own time doesn't cost much.

The only one I ever adjusted was a 74 super beetle. Super easy to do. Just turning nuts and driving (sounds similar to the above description).

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Dunno 'bout the Beetle, or even Ryan's F-150, but my Ranger uses a socket-head set screw instead of a slotted head one like my John Deere's do (so you can use an allen wrench instead of a screwdriver to adjust it). WAY, WAY easier than trying to hold the adjustment with the screwdriver while you tighten the jam nut back down.

I don't remember exactly. Been too many years ago. Sounds very similar though. Adjust a small amount, drive, adjust, drive. Took maybe an hour to get all the play out of it. My friend never had any issues with it after that (I did the body work and paint too). The "new owner" still drives it around town, but I have no clue what he may have done to it since.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
There Way to adjust in ford manual . Ask subford He'll know I believe you jack truck up drain fluid and work wheel lock to lock while tightening small amount .Itried several andthey fail soon after and it was a small amount.

I have the luck of having parted 3 real low miles truck and the boxes r on shelf.
But I'd like to know MYself.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've always heard that playing with the adjustment nut on the steering box is a BAD idea. Yeah it will bandaid the problem and feel a lot better, but the problem will SOON return and it'll be WORSE than before. Like Larry said, he adjusted his and it broke soon after. I suggest not messing with it. Sloppy and noisy steering is just one of those things that plagues these old F150s, I've learned to deal with it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
blah blah, hurt the box... learn to live with it...

Just cleaning it up a little can't hurt much. Unfortunately the nut may as well be welded to the box. I couldn't get it to budge. I'm drowning it in oil to see if I can get it freed up.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hit it harder.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts