Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust it is...

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
As a birthday present to myself...I shall be getting an exhaust for the Explorer (after all that ranting about me wanting the truck to stay stock...it's just not the same being so quiet).

I went and got a quote today for it from a shop in the town I grew up in, and I've got two weeks to make a decision.

I've dealt with plenty of exhausts on the 4.0L OHV, so I'm wondering how the exhaust note of a SOHC compares to the OHV. Any particular exhausts you guys would recommend for a 4.0L SOHC?

I do intend to keep it as a single exit in the stock location.

Thanks for any suggestions and info.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I've been happy with the Gibson stainless cat-back. It isn't much louder than stock, and doesn't have the obnoxious "droan" the Flowmasters have.
This however, is on a 3.0L, not a SOHC 4.0L.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Did you install it yourself Bob, or did you have it done? Is it clamped or welded? Easy to find locally, or definitly an Internet buy?

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I had a friend who is a mechanic install it. It was much easier to install up on his lift.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
How would you define the sound? Does it have that "chambered" Flowmaster/Magnaflow sound? Or is it more glasspacky?

Niether, it's a very mellow sound, only slightly louder than stock. I bought it for the longevity of SS, not for sound......

96270464-L.jpg

96270468-L.jpg

96270461-L.jpg

Last edited:

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Nice, looks like a good quality exhaust, and the sound you mention sounds just about perfectly like what I want. I called the exhaust guy I use, he said he could get it by weekend after next, so that'll be the one I go with.

Thanks for the help!

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I also had gibson on my 3.0 ranger, sounded great - nice and mellow.

I'm also a fan of magnaflow exhaust, had it on an '00 f150 5.4 and a '06 mazda3 2.3 - both sounded awesome, especially the v8. Though the 2.3 sounded good too, no fart can sounds.

I have magnaflow mufflers on my bronco now and they sound ok, not the same quality as the full catback system, but I'm not too concerned with what it sounds like.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
As a birthday present to myself...I shall be getting an exhaust for the Explorer (after all that ranting about me wanting the truck to stay stock...it's just not the same being so quiet).

I went and got a quote today for it from a shop in the town I grew up in, and I've got two weeks to make a decision.

I've dealt with plenty of exhausts on the 4.0L OHV, so I'm wondering how the exhaust note of a SOHC compares to the OHV. Any particular exhausts you guys would recommend for a 4.0L SOHC?

I do intend to keep it as a single exit in the stock location.

Thanks for any suggestions and info.

I would be interested in how things turn out for you.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
no kiddin we need some vids once you get it on.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Well...I'll be sure to pictorially and hopefully video-ly (lol) document the installation. I plan on getting this one done...for my Ranger I had all the pipes bent and did the mounting and welding myself, but this is a birthday present and the exhaust guy is too good to pass up on it, he does some really excellent work.

I will let you guys know just as soon as I get it on and get back to my pc!

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, for what it's worth, I did indeed get the exhaust installed. Totally forgot to put that up afterwords.

I Y-ed the dual pipes into a single chamber muffler from Classic Chambered, the same guys I got my Ranger muffler from. I then ran pipe out the stock location, sans resonator. I love the sound, I'll get a recording and some pictures just as soon as I get home and post them up for you guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts