Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4s and aftermarket air filters

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
ok guys listen up. this has been a beat to death subject on the 6.0 and it looks like it will be a beat to death subject on the 6.4 but i hooe this helps. ford has found out that aftermarket air filters have been causing dpf failures but the way it can confuse the maf sensor which can confuse the egr valve which is used during a regen process to increase temp to burn off soot. if the maf values are crazy, the dpf can be "overheated" and crack and cause the tailpipes to be sooty, and fuel mileage will also suck. we had an engineer in the shop helping me with a 6.4 and the truck we were working on had an aftermarket filter on it, which brought this info out on the table. he also told me that the dealer will make this a customer pay job if the dpf is cracked and the truck has a aftermarket filter on it. this info is geting around and im sure there will be some that get hit with a repair bill in the thousands due to a $300 filter. the best thing is the stock filter and nothing else for these trucks and your wallets. if you have any questions please ask away. no flaming please.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've not seen anything good come of aftermarket air filter use on either a 6.0 or a 6.4.

Storm

What about the sealing issue of the 6.0 Factory Intake? I have that problem on the passenger side of the filter housing. It's got a massive gap now.. I was going to move to a AFE Canister replacement filter that is metal instead of plastic like the factory.. Course I'm worried bout aftermarket filters myself :(

blacksnapon

Staff member
What about the sealing issue of the 6.0 Factory Intake? I have that problem on the passenger side of the filter housing. It's got a massive gap now.. I was going to move to a AFE Canister replacement filter that is metal instead of plastic like the factory.. Course I'm worried bout aftermarket filters myself :(
If you pull the complete assembly out of the truck to install the filter, a more positive seal is possible.

Storm

So your saying I should pull the entire thing out as 1 piece then trying to remove just the filter?

Hmm I'll do that then because I did the smoke test and instead of the smoke being pushed out of the way, it was being sucked in through the open seal. .This was the passenger side seal closest to the firewall. So after the filter is where the open air (dust) is making its way in :(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts