Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1980's F250-1990 F150 tranny swap

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Just wondering if a 4 speed manual tranny from an 80's (dont know exact year yet) would fit in my truck w/out having to cut the floors or change the trans support?
If not then what has to be done to make it fit? Im looking at a 351w mated to a 4 speed manual tranny and thinking how great that would be for my stroker project...more power plus granny low :guns:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Should but the 80's 4 spd isn't exactly known for it's rigidity...if you want a really stout one with a lower granny find an NP435 out of an early 80's for 70's model truck...all cast iron....and if you can find it mated to an NP205...the better.......you'll need the pedal assembly for your year....you should also be able to find a hump cover for a manul for your truck anyways...no cutting (or minimal)downside is an NP435 is a mechanical clutch...not hydraulic.

JR

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Should but the 80's 4 spd isn't exactly known for it's rigidity...

Thinking there were T-18 or T-19s right up through the 80s, maybe NP435s, too.

In addition to the box you're talking about, a 4-speed with the fourth being OD.

*I think Eric (1970custom) has an early '90s F-150 with an older 4-speed swapped in. Maybe he'll show up and add something at some point.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
true however the t-19's were mostly run in the heavier duty trucks.....while the 18's were in the lighter duty trucks/FSB's.....I still prefer the NP435 just because it is what it is......if it wasn't decent then all 3 domestic auto makers wouldn't have used it for various years/makes.

JR

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I thought the F-250s got (at least mostly) the heavier duty trannys, and if I'm reading this right, he's yanking a trans out of a 250 and putting it into a 150.

But I don't really know nothin'...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
true however the t-19's were mostly run in the heavier duty trucks.....while the 18's were in the lighter duty trucks/FSB's.....I still prefer the NP435 just because it is what it is......if it wasn't decent then all 3 domestic auto makers wouldn't have used it for various years/makes.

JR

so what he'd be gettin is most likely the t-19......

JR

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I was under the imppression that it was likely to be a T19, which would be 4 speed w/ granny low 1st right?
And I dont know yet if i can get the transfer case in the deal too or not..

Why would i need a new clutch assembly? My truck already has an M5OD in it...

andym

Real men are fanatics
There's some bad info in this thread. :)

Here's what I know about the T-19, T-18, and NP 435.

The T-19 was used up until the early 90's on F-250 and F-350 trucks. It has a synchronized first gear and a much high ratio for first gear than the T-18. It is a strong transmission. It has a detachable bell and was available with a hydraulic clutch starting in about 1983 or so.

The T-18 was used in F-150's, F-100's and Broncos up until 1992. They are hard to find after 1990 though. My 1989 F-150 had a T-18 in it from the factory. Unsynchronized first gear, detachable bell, hydraulic clutch after 1982 or so. It is also a very strong tranny.

The NP-435 was used in Broncos, all F-series up to F-700's, school buses, and other trucks with a GVWR up to 26000 lbs. It is a VERY stout tranny, and looks very similar to a T-18. The last year Ford used it was 1986. Detachable bell, hydraulic clutch in its last few years, granny low unsynchronized 1st.

What would my '77 F150 have had in it? The reverse in that truck was as granny low as granny low was in forward.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Could be either a T-18 or an NP-435. Before 1986 you had a good chance of having either one. A T-18 will have a big BW logo cast into the driver's side case and a T-18 also has a cast iron top as opposed to the NP-435's aluminum top.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Lol not a problem, i figured that was the case, but thought i ought to clarify...Thanks for that link!

Dontcha hate it when people selling stuff dont answer their phone or reply to email?

Nother question, is the tranny any longer/shorter then the current M50D? If so can the T case take up the extra/slack from the D-shafts? And what about installation? Would i need to relocate the tranny support?

andym

Real men are fanatics
The dates in that fordification article aren't 100% accurate. I had an 86 Bronco with an NP435, tranny code "A". Also, as I said, my 89 has a T-18, tranny code "F". Hydraulic clutches were very common with these two in the 80's.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
JUst drop a np435 in it. Brand new from jeffs bronco grave yard the like 745 bucks.

There stout transmissions. my 67 still has its orignal transmission in it. needs new synchros tho.

andym

Real men are fanatics
JUst drop a np435 in it. Brand new from jeffs bronco grave yard the like 745 bucks.

I didn't know that they sold them. I looked on their site but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yea Andy I saw that info...believe it or not there were some sites WORSE than that one...I knew the dates weren't right...but it gives a general basis of what each transmission is what it looks like and about what years it can be found in.....my 89 FSB had a T18 in it.......BTW...I like your sig.

JR

andym

Real men are fanatics
Thanks... Chris loves it too. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts