Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Break Pads help

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, time to put pads on the King Ranch.....went to Rock Auto and only saw 45 different choices of pads ranging from $7 to $62.

I know there's a difference from cheap and expensive pads, but where do I go in the middle.

I put 2500 miles on my rig a year, so there's not a lot of driving or abuse.

Second, I'll have my mechanic look at the rotors, but should I change these or just wait until they need it? Is there a normal life on rotors? Like mileage? The KR just rolled over 30k miles and I just missed it by 1 miles to take a picture!!!! :headbang:

Third, for my type of driving and climate: ceramic or semi-metalic? (did a little research and am leaning toward ceramic since I don't drive much)

Thanks!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I would go ceramic pads.
The rotors should be good with only 30k .
Unless the truck pulses or shakes when braking the rotors are probably ok.

^ what the bear said....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^ what the bear said....

I would go ceramic pads.
The rotors should be good with only 30k .
Unless the truck pulses or shakes when braking the rotors are probably ok.

Thanks guys......the thing still stops like I'm test driving a new rig.....so I didn't know if it would be good to just change them....so, sounds good...keep the rotors...go with ceramic....

But what about the $7 cheapies and the $62 gold plated ones.......do I go with OE, etc.?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I avoid the cheap ones they don't seem hold up that well., plus they don't include new anti rattle clips etc.
I get the mid grade pads most times.

There's just so many....in doing a quick google search, lots of people are saying the ThermoQuiet's are pretty decent and the price range is middle of the road at $30 for the front and another $30 for the rear on rockauto.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The fronts need to be changed....not down to metal yet, but am changing them anyways.....should I just change the rear at the same time or is that being too anal and just wait till they need it?

I'm not familiar enough to know if all four wear the same or if it's different, which is what I've heard.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There's just so many....in doing a quick google search, lots of people are saying the ThermoQuiet's are pretty decent and the price range is middle of the road at $30 for the front and another $30 for the rear on rockauto.

Here I am talking to myself again!

So basically, it cost me more to replace my gas cap cover then to put midgrade break pads on the front. :suspicious:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Brake quality is a trade off. Harder compound pads (expensive)last longer, but more chance for noise and rotors wear faster. Soft pads don't last as long, but they don't wear out your rotors.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Ceramic is better, it tends not to give you the nasty break dust. At 3,000 miles a year though, you're not going to develop break dust even if it only gets washed twice a year.

If you spend $40 an axle, you're not going to go wrong.

Ryan

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Rock Auto does offer Motorcraft brakes for your truck at about $40 - 50 per axle. When it comes to brakes, I want to error on the high side of quality. I have always had good luck with Wagner or Raybestos on the high end of their selection.

Our NotFord has 180,000 miles on the pads, but that is with 100 miles between stoplights.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OEM replacement is what I'd go with. With only 30k, why are you needing to replace??? Knock on wood, but the Lincoln just past 103k, I've owned it for 79k of those miles, brakes still have life left. So whatever Lincoln put on the car, is what I'm gonna go with. As for rotors, I don't touch them unless they're seriously gouged or getting really thin, or if they're really warped (wobbles when you brake). For the price of turning a rotor, I always just go new if necessary.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
The fronts need to be changed....not down to metal yet, but am changing them anyways.....should I just change the rear at the same time or is that being too anal and just wait till they need it?

I'm not familiar enough to know if all four wear the same or if it's different, which is what I've heard.

Front pads wear more quickly than the rear. Whenever I to do brake work, I check all four corners, just a smart thing to do. I change the pads/shoes when there's a good 1/8th inch left of material, well before there's a chance of any damage.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Front pads wear more quickly than the rear. Whenever I to do brake work, I check all four corners, just a smart thing to do.

Agreed. I usually do all four corners at once. If I don't, I am pulling wheels on a regular basis to check the brakes.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
OEM replacement is what I'd go with. With only 30k, why are you needing to replace??? Knock on wood, but the Lincoln just past 103k, I've owned it for 79k of those miles, brakes still have life left. So whatever Lincoln put on the car, is what I'm gonna go with. As for rotors, I don't touch them unless they're seriously gouged or getting really thin, or if they're really warped (wobbles when you brake). For the price of turning a rotor, I always just go new if necessary.

Maybe I'm just jumping the gun then....thanks Ben....the thing that made me wonder if I needed new pads was the fact that brake dust has been compiling much faster than I'd ever known from the first 6 months of owning it to the last couple.....so maybe they're good and won't jump the gun for new ones just yet.

Front pads wear more quickly than the rear. Whenever I to do brake work, I check all four corners, just a smart thing to do. I change the pads/shoes when there's a good 1/8th inch left of material, well before there's a chance of any damage.

This is what I was hoping to understand....thanks Roy.

Agreed. I usually do all four corners at once. If I don't, I am pulling wheels on a regular basis to check the brakes.

Doug, for a few more bucks, the Ford ones are surely the way to go.....that's what I'll do if they're needed....thanks!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
oreillys carries motorcraft as well.. sometimes autozone does depending on the part..

when it comes to the pads i dont really care about brands.. the makeups pretty much the same on them all unless your going from like semi-metalic to ceramic.. or kevlar..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Maybe I'm just jumping the gun then....thanks Ben....the thing that made me wonder if I needed new pads was the fact that brake dust has been compiling much faster than I'd ever known from the first 6 months of owning it to the last couple.....so maybe they're good and won't jump the gun for new ones just yet.

That's because Austin cleaned them and you notice it more now. Unless you're rolling around with 1/16" of pad left, I'd say you're good. Get a hand in there see how much you can feel, or just pull the tires off and have a looksee.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
ahahuna8.jpg

Sent from my not so smart phone.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts