Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New gas cover....expensive buggers.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Now
zeze8aqe.jpg

pypuzu5y.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Not sure why the original chrome one corroded, but Austin and I thought maybe the PO hung the gas cover over it to avoid getting it on the paint, which is what I've been doing until Austin pointed out that the inside has a little hook for that! :headbang:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^also, decided to go with the polished silver versus the chrome to avoid this again and since the wheels are silver (salt in Maine isn't forgiving for chrome), it matches just fine and not out of place. But boy, that corrosion bothered me tons, while the rest of the truck was literally show room condition.

Also, the chrome was more than twice the cost of polished silver....can't see myself spending $150-200 on a gas cover; even as nice as the truck is.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
And...I'm the only posting to this thread....smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Whats the silver one made of ?

They're all made from 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, and the finish is whatever you ordered, like chrome or polished silver....they also have black and brushed.

Took me a while to find the right one.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
upysynar.jpg

bu7ute7u.jpg

detu4any.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^Instructions were telling me to take the faceplate off, which seems much more difficult (clips hidden underneath the plastic inside), than just taking off the cover and putting the new cover on the existing face plate which is what I did....2 minutes.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BEFORE
7ahu7uqy.jpg

AFTER
anerutuh.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BEFORE
e7edu5yq.jpg

AFTER
a2y2u6ur.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BEFORE
yvy7y2u9.jpg

AFTER
nytyre6e.jpg

ydumugut.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm super happy with the results.....was the only flaw on the truck.

Also, it was hard trying to get a picture as head on shots were just showing reflections.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks good, Ken. The hex bolts must be made of a different material, since the corrosion didn't seem to affect them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts