Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water Pump

Michigan
Does anyone know how to test the water pump without taking it off the block to see if it is ok or not?

If the heater is working well, thats a good indicator since it takes more effort from the water pump to circulate coolant through the heater core than anything.

Use a stethoscope and listen to what is going on inside the raidiator hoses, listen for the sound of running water - when the t-stat has opened. Pinch off the out bound hose on the water pump and feel for a build up of water pressure. When you release pressure you should feel a rush of coolant flow.

There are many more things that can be done...

Michigan
ok thanks man, u gave me some ideas, thats goood enough! Thanks buddy!

I have not replaced a water pump in many years. I think the last one I did was on my 72 torino.

The ford ones used to have a weap hole on the bottom that would drip if the bushing were worn in the pump. Don't know if that is true now though.

Michigan
yes im aware of the weep hole, im just stumped on how this marine 2.3L overheated creating a crack? Maby it froze....... Cuz i did find water still in the block and he said he "winterized" It... I guess we will see if the head is warped..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have not replaced a water pump in many years. I think the last one I did was on my 72 torino.

The ford ones used to have a weap hole on the bottom that would drip if the bushing were worn in the pump. Don't know if that is true now though.
It was for my brother's water pump on his 97 7.3L PSD. His water pumped started dripping from the weep hole a few months back to let him know it was done.

Michigan
It was for my brother's water pump on his 97 7.3L PSD. His water pumped started dripping from the weep hole a few months back to let him know it was done.

Yea man those pumps dont last long in the 7.3's. I had to replace the block heater in mine and you should have seen all the sand inside the radiator, the motor is so big it leaves tons of sand in there from casting. I would undo the drain plugs in the side of the block, radiator, and get a external coolant filter. Thats the future plans for my dads truck! after i switch it over to yellow coolant.

Hey Mike,
Check the seapump on that thing. The automotive water pump on that engine just circulates the water within the engine. The seapump sucks the water up outta the lake. Seapumps have replacable rubber impellers and should be replaced annually according to some maintenance manuals.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
take the belt off and wiggle the fan. if theres play the bearing/or bushing is bad.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
yes im aware of the weep hole, im just stumped on how this marine 2.3L overheated creating a crack? Maby it froze....... Cuz i did find water still in the block and he said he "winterized" It... I guess we will see if the head is warped..

My guess would be thremal shock. Instead of having a radiator, boats generally run cold water into the block from a port below the boat, to the pump, then out another port. In essence, the coolant never warms up. So you're driving around all day long in your boat, the block gets up to operating temprature, and you run though colder water..........

THUMP (Just like the sound you hear in a hot coffee maker when you pour cold water into it).........Thermal shock.

Short of installing a radiator in your boat there isn't much that you can do about it. In essence, the block is getting hot, while the coolant isn't. You get enough of a difference and crunch, there she goes. A thermostat won't do any good because the lake water never warms up, therefore the thermostat would never open.

I have heard of a lot of people, when building race motors, wanting marine blocks instead of regular automobile blocks, because they're cast with a little more meat on them in an effort to keep them from doing what yours did, and are a little stronger.

That being said, I'd guess the only way to keep that from happening again is go looking for a heavier marine block to rebuild.

Gunner

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Yea man those pumps dont last long in the 7.3's. I had to replace the block heater in mine and you should have seen all the sand inside the radiator, the motor is so big it leaves tons of sand in there from casting. I would undo the drain plugs in the side of the block, radiator, and get a external coolant filter. Thats the future plans for my dads truck! after i switch it over to yellow coolant.

7.3 Water pumps do tend to fail often, but i've never found sand in the radiator or engine, you may just have an issue with yours. I would keep an eye on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts