Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tech: Stud replacement

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
This is done a 96 f150 2wd front end.
But its pretty much universal with a few different variations.
The studs on this truck are pressed into the rotor it self. instead of on the spindle or an axle (4wd/or rear)

step one:
taken you already have vehicle up on a jack and stands...and wheel off.
Remove your brake caliper and brake pads. depending on the vehicle if its 4wd or fwd. you may or may not haft to remove the spindle nut and remove the rotor in that way.

101_0106.jpg

Step 2: remove spindle nut
make sure you catch the bearing and pieces as you take it apart, as you will need to re-install them in the order that they come off.
First pull out the cotter pin. I find a pair of pliers work the best. Sometimes a center punch will aid removal. Loosen spindle nut and remove the rotor.

Step 3: Set rotor on a stable surface. I chose a pick nick table with a crack in so when it came time to remove the stud it could go right through the table and onto the ground.
101_0108.jpg

Step 4: The reason your removing the stud is, its stripped/ thread damaged or you just want a new one. You cant re-use a stud so hammer. Away. Center up your hammer on the stud that you plan on removing. A few wacks and it should be pushed out, it just requred one for me.
101_0109.jpg

step 5: Run the new stud through and using the old stud and a hammer, tap it into place. Then get a washer. Or a spacer of some sort, Put it over the new stud. Make sure the metal isn't to soft, Ie no lead. make sure you can thread the new lug on a few turns or more. Then get a impact gun. Put your washer on then the new lug. Then hit it with the impact until you see the back part of the new stud seated all the way on the back part of the rotor.

101_0112.jpg

then re-install the rotor in the same manner you took it off, just reversed. You may need to repack the bearings, but thats another tech article for a diffrent day. I prefer to pack them by hand, that and i don't have that fancy tool (or easier less messy tool.). Torque your spindle nut down to specs.

If its on a FWd car, 4wd front end, or rear of a vehicle. Just remove the rotor, slide it over the studs. Hammer out old stud. Wiggle the new on in there. Hold the back of it with your hand, use the washer and lug method. It shouldn't turn on ya. And that will seat it.

if you have any more question ill try and help.

If anybody sees that i missed something let me know.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts