Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

drive side brake problem

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well this goes aliong with the thread title "grinding in front end"

i went in and check the brakes and bearings in both sides. And replaced a stud on the passenger side (my fault), there will be a tech post later.
My passenger side was just fine. Just repacked and installed.

Drive side different story. this a brand new rotor/ bearings and caliper. Well the back bearing is destroyed. Front one is in brand new sorta shape. The rotor is beveled on the back side with grooves in it. as does the back pad.

As in beveled, the back part of the braking area. right near the center of the rotor its taller and towards the edge of the rotor its thin. lIke it cant be turned thin. and its got grooves on it.

The rotor has one brake change on it. The pads are about a month old (replaced before the tranny went out)

wtf seriously.

anyways i snapped some pics

wth is this
101_0114.jpg

101_0113.jpg

i know its what the pad slides in but it doesnt seem to want to stay clamped on to the...well i dont what its called....spindle? i guess

regular bad ass.
101_0110.jpg

ill type of the tech taht goes along with this photo and bout 6 more....
Unless yall know how to install a stud.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Well, I know how to replace studs but it'd still be a good writeup for the noobs...go ahead and git er done...Travis that's the redneck lowering kit.....gawd workin on trucks outside brings back memories...nothin like swappin trannies at 3 am with it 27 degrees out and a shoplight your only heater......in a truck on 38's.....ahhhhhhhhh

JR

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
haha yeah i know, but i try to do fixes on pavement though, less "sinkage". you should do a write up for the new people.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yea it was a pita. Yes its sinking.

did a tranny swap on that truck in that exact same spot in november. Got up to a wopping 41 one day.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, that thing is what the pad slides on, Anthony, and is the part that I mentioned in the other thread as having rusted enough to cause problems on my truck...

On a Ranger, anyway, it clips into the caliper mounting bracket, which is bolted to the spindle. Mine snap out with a screwdriver and snap back in by hand. Maybe you got rust or mud preventing it from snapping all the way down? Clean it out good where it's supposed to go, and try tapping it gently with a rubber mallet or something.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
nope wont stay and place. And i fear it might be one of the culprits to my problems. Ive tried bending the clip to mount. But it wont stay clipped in.

No rust or obstructions tho.

just don't understand how the back of the rotor could be beveled like that...and the front side of it be fine.
Maybe the bearing was seated wrong. Or when it grenaded it caused the rotor to set crooked which made the brakes wear funny. But you know when i haft to get on the brakes at highway speeds it pulls to the left (driver side)
Aint the first time ive had problems with this side. a year or two back. I blew a rotor apart, cracked it. bent a brake shoe in a horseshoe style. and then next brake job the caliper crapped out on me. So its all new parts. Plus wtf would cause grooves...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
any ideas. Before i put it back together today?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
100 dollars worth of parts later. And it still ****ing grinding.

That includes bearings, seal, rotor, brake kit, Brake pads.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Can you hear it grinding if you spin the wheel with the truck jacked up?

Or only when you're driving?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
John deere. I really dont know. But it used to be pretty darn audible but now i can kinda feel it through the floor pan. Im going to jack it up and double check everything. A mechanic buddy said something about the inside of the rubber hose collasping when they get old, that it will force pressure through but it wont let the fluid go back, or release from the caliper. So if there locked when i yank it apart now. Ill just replaced the damn thing.

but im kinda pissed about it. its always the ****ING DRiver side. The passenger side rotor is still within specs. And i have it since ive owned the truck (2 years). The drive side is on its second rotor (this is the 2nd ive put on) The first one i put on went through two sets of brake pads, then the recent set. (half worn, but grooves).
the rotor that was on it when i bought the truck, just one day i had no brakes, no grinding, no warning, to top it off i was hung over..., and it was 120* outside and 100% humidity i thought i was going to die.The rotor that was on the truck when i bought it, ended up cracked, and i bent a brake shoe in half. Next set of pads, The caliper went out. Wtf is up with the drive side....

101_0130.jpg

101_0128.jpg

101_0134.jpg

101_0137.jpg

Taught the ol lady how to do brakes....She wouldn't shut up. can i do something...can i do something. can i do something...

started helping her. And she thought the new rubber dust boots for the sliding pins where going to instal with a simple push....more like force the ***** in there.
but she did pretty good for a girl. She needs to learn you can be pretty brutal to it without braking.

101_0143.jpg

ANd johndeere said. check the little clips. well i picked up a set of 4 and 4 dust boots. for 15.00 bucks,
A set of brake pads, Rotor, 2 bearings. And a seal. (plust about 15 bucks or more that my dad grabbed stuff,) came out 95.03

Lets just say im not a very good teacher. i dont have patience when she wants me to hurry, but teach her and be nice.
101_0144.jpg

101_0138.jpg

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Your mechanic friend has a good idea. Your problem seems symptomatic of the brake hanging.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Reason I asked if you could hear it spinning the wheel when the truck was jacked up, was I was thinkin' maybe you could put it all together without the brake pads on there and spin the wheel, see if the noise went away. Can't drive it like that, though, so if you need to be up to speed, no go.

I'll third that it sounds like a brake hanging up... If your brake hoses look original, I'd be sorta tempted to replace them just on principle. It ain't much fun when they blow out. Hopefully you'll have better luck getting them off the hard lines than I did, I ended up with all new hard line, too. Costs a fortune to get done, too, so you really don't want to blow one halfway to Wyoming.

*Was it just the rubber boot you were forcing on the slide-pins? Or the pin itself? Those pins got to slide pretty easily...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
passenger side had a tear in it. causing a little spot of dirt on it. But nothing a wire wheel could fix. through some bearing grease on em and slid them.

They didnt slid real easy at first with the new ones. But it will over time.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well i went back and adjusted my spindle nut.

But while adjusting it i bumped the spindle and all..

Guess what top ball joint is bad. probably the bottom one.
probably causing what i felt through the floor

]

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Well done getting the girlie involved. Mine always wants to learn but I just don't have the patience. Plus, she don't like gettin' dirty lol! At least you're finding the solution. I'm suprised you didn't just go ahead and replace both sides, though.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
coudlnt afford to.
with the ball joints. Im sad to say this, but i think im leaving my truck, and taking my dads to laramie.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
bad drive side ball joints, and some brass collar that supposed to be round is hex shaped, and the drag link where bad.

this is my dad talking to the mechanic then telling me, hes not very good at "telephone"

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts