Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.6L 5.4L Power Steering Type Whine Noise

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
This engine noise is often misdiagnosed as an alternator or more commonly a power steering pump, a costly guess. In this video I show you how much it sounds like a power steering whine, how to test for it and then replace the faulty components. This affects the 4.6l and 5.4l in many different Ford vehicles, and as such I will be posting this procedure in many different sections as to not leave anyone out that may have this concern. This can be a very annoying noise but is such a simple fix.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Holy crap- marquis started making this noise, and I thought "welp... alternator or P/S pump." Thank You!

makuloco2000

Certified Ford Tech
Yup, and some sound even more like a power steering pump and SOME even change noise pitch when turning the wheel crazy. I had a newer escape 3.0l I believe and ford got rid of the power steering pump so in its place they put a large idler pulley. I had one of these come in for a power steering noise just like it has a hydraulic pump still and guess what that power steering idler was the source of the noise! Wild.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts